Workgroups vs. Domains

I need to reconfigure the house network (since the ISP changed his wireless technology, now required to jack directly to the upstairs PC NIC, formerly a device on the downstairs wireless router.)

I got into a muddle and must go back to first principles. Am I right that these PCs should be on the same Workgroup and no Domain should be defined?

Resources: Upstairs:IBM 8113 A: NetComm 3G wireless Internet antenna jacked to NIC B. Belkin G wireless desktop card Downstairs IBM 8113 C Samtack WLAN wireless N router (WAN jacked to NIC) Also portable Toshiba D with Belkin G wireless card

Advice would be welcomed

Reply to
Don Phillipson
Loading thread data ...

For a typical home network, that's the case.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Don:

Workgroups and Domains are a Microsoft artificial construct used to differentiate between Commercial/Business v/s home networked windows boxes.

Workgroups do not have a central server that you must log on with to use the network and share devices. Domains are of course for business situations where you want one (or more) Windows Server(s) to authenticate a log on, and confer user rights, serve as printer spoolers, drive shares, etc..

So, for a home office, or home with multiple computers, use workgroups. The user authentication will take place on the individual computer you are using.

This has nothing to do with networks other than how you want to use them.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Johnson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.