Wireless speed slow and fluctuates

I have a pc down the hall in another room. I had to position the wireless router's (Dell TrueMobile 2300) anntena in line of site to my pc's anntenna (Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G Desktop Network Card) to get strong signel strenght. The speed is a about 11 to 36 I am told it should be about

1. any ideas on how to make it faster to what it should be?

thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony
Loading thread data ...

That would be "54", not "64", and that's the maximum, deliverable with a few meters of the WAP. Down the hall, in another room, I think I see 48 fairly often, but I added a reflector to my WAP.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
formatting link
The signal with the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

With 54g connections, I find that watching the "current bandwidth" in the Windows perfmon.msc is a pretty good signal indicator. start-run-perfmon.msc + Performance Object = Network Numbers agree with dslreports. + Performance Object = TCP "current bandwidth"

Reply to
dold

Thanks Clarence,

Going to build EZ 12 first.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.