Out of range?

Hi, I'm using a Belkin F5D7632-4 router conencted to my ADSL line, and then from there I have an MSI CB54G2 cardbus in the laptop, and an MSI PC54G2 on the PC. The PC and router are very close (around 15ft), but the laptop is often used upstairs (around 35ft) from the router. However, while I get a good signal while I'm up there, the link speed varies immensely from 54Mbps to as low as 1Mbps. It also won't resolve an IP address for the laptop unless I physically come downstairs nearer to the router (anywhere on the ground floor seems to work fine). Now, I'm thinking it can't all be out of range, so why does this happen? I've tried moving around upstairs and going into different rooms, and I get the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas? Regards, ThePotato

Reply to
Chris Brennen
Loading thread data ...

Try moving the antenna's on the router around. Also, set the RTS/CTS to

1000 or 800 and give that a try.

sean

Reply to
Sean

The radiation pattern from a standard rubber-ducky antenna is like a donut. The antenna should be pointed so that it is broadside to the intended target. There would be some tilt needed to shoot upstairs.

You can also add free reflectors to the Access Point which can give 10dBi or more gain. If the laptop works at all upstairs, a reflector should make it work quite well.

formatting link
The EZ-10 takes a few minutes to make with a piece of cardboard and aluminum foil. My rendition may be too wrinkly, and should be smoother, maybe made from a flat sheet of metal instead. My setup was better with two reflectors. One reflector and one bare antenna caused some "toggling" between the antennas.

<
formatting link
>

In my case, my living room couch location would connect and disconnect. With the reflectors added, the living room and dining room beyond have solid connections.

Reply to
dold

Hi Sean, Yes, I've tried that, but not much luck I'm afraid. What does the RTS/ CTS do, and where can I find it as I can't see it in my router's settings anywhere. ThePotato

Reply to
Chris Brennen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.