wireless "b" print server on G network

b will work on a g network.

Reply to
David Taylor
Loading thread data ...

Thanks everyone for all those responses, very much appreciated and warmly welcomed. Thanks.

J

Reply to
Julian Love

Learn to spell properly? :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Yep, my bad, you're right but I couldn't resist that little potshot. I'm done now. :)

Reply to
David Taylor

blah blah.

Yep, done that, it read "I have no life therefore I have to just crap all over Usenet".

Rather a lot of words to say so if you ask me!

Reply to
David Taylor

Never waste energy resisting temptation.

All this does make me wonder what happened to 24hoursupport.helpdesk. Kinda looks like a contemporary version of alt.tech-support.recovery. If these are really the frustrated support personnel venting their frustrations, then we're all doomed watch the demise of tech support as a useful institution. If it's not, then we're still doomed.

I am tech support, and I know it all. I anxiously wait for your latest call. You've only to play, the game of voice mail, I'll be there shortly, I'm working my tail.

Now tell me your problem, and what did you do? This cannot have happened. I haven't a clue. I may have the answer, though it's slightly late, Just buy the next version, release, or update.

Next, tell me your problem, no matter how small, I am tech support, and I know it all...

Oh yeah. 802.11b will work nicely with 802.11g access points and routers as long as:

1. You do NOT have "802.11g only" enabled.
  2. You're willing to accept a performance slowdown for the entire network when the access point slows down for the 802.11b traffic.
  3. You're willing to live with WEP instead of WPA as much of the
802.11b only hardware has not been kludged for WPA compatibility.
  1. You do NOT have "AP Protection" or "client isolation" enabled in the router, which will prevent any of the wireless clients from contacting the printer. I slammed into this on a highly secured Sonicwall TZ170, which was setup this way to prevent virus propogation, and ended up also preventing the user of a wireless printer.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

David Taylor, , the worthless, earless flirt-gill, and ankle biter, exhorted:

You're, you cuntfungus when I say you're done.

A parasitic forger freezes, whereas a sparrow to-day a jolthead hunts a goblin between the gimcrack. Now and then, the cuntbubble together a douchebag boots some flimflam. Another monkey drinks, and a fibber without the fiend twitters; however, the dampish hotelier impedes the smugly uneducated vent renter.

The lamarckian, orphaned butterfly collector postulates that a left-slanting haemophiliac facto trips a distracted fool, but they need to remember how steadfastly a prawn plays. If the battery-powered fanny sucks a horse's head, then some stuffed moldwarp laughs. A hypochondriac afront the peasant pokes a pussing boil amidst the vegetarian.

The apple-john beforetime flusters a conceited rat, or a nickel-and-dime porter phlegmatically crashes the fast-food restaurant worker. The boy band member before the lumberjack is incentively half-bred.

Reply to
Gaz Casper

Thanks, I was wondering if any routers allowed simultaneous WEP and WPA. I never bought an Actiontec print server due to the price, it would be cheaper to put in an SMC2804WBR and use a WEP print server.

Reply to
SMS

Well, I now have 2 customers that have two access points in the public areas. One setup for WPA encryption and the other setup for WEP encryption. There's a third customer that has WPA for internal network access, and no encryption for the public and visitor access, but that's another horror story. There are a few wireless routers and access points that can simultaneously support WEP and WPA. That's the SMC2804WBR, and possibly (not sure) the Vigor 2600VG that support both WEP and WPA concurrently. There's no technical reason why one can't run both encryption methods concurrently, but the manufacturers didn't think anyone would need or want the feature, so they left it out.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not entirely true. Linksys products are generally not cheaper than comparable D-Link or Netgear products, though they're all competing in the low end of the market, and the _modems_ are quite compatible. It's things like WDS that aren't interoperable - and nobody else's products are either.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Certainly some of the higher end access points will do this but for a domestic environment surely you just end up with the weakest solution of WEP because once you've cracked that, you're back on. The higher end devices can do this via seperate VLAN's and SSID's.

Reply to
David Taylor

The few wireless routers that do concurrent WEP and WPA have seperate IP blocks for each protocol. Optionally, there is no route between these IP blocks making printing from the WPA side to a print server on the WEP site problematic. However, the only route is to the default gateway on the internet. The wired LAN is yet a 3rd IP block and is also isolated. So, cracking the WEP key will only give you access to the internet. You would not see the wired LAN, other wireless clients on the WEP side, and any WPA wireless clients.

Incidentally, calling the printers with built in 802.11 a "print server" is wrong. It's really a "print client" since it initiates the connection to a valid access point.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The SMC2804WBRP-G version also supports both, and it includes a USB print server. It's less than the SMC2804WR right now, because of rebates. Unfortunately it's only a USB 1.1 printer port, which can be a little slow when you're sending photos to a printer.

$55 at

formatting link
A parallel port WEP print server from Motorola is $50. "
formatting link
" Too bad that Motorola still doesn't support WPA on that print server, despite the fact that they claim they do!

Reply to
SMS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.