print server for LJ 2200dt

Has anyone succesfully set up a wireless print server with a HP LJ

2200dt. I spent about 4 hours with Netgear support on a wired print server which was listed as compatible with my LJ and they finally told me to take it back. I then bought a Linksys wireless g server and spent 3 hours on the phone with them and they said it apparently wasn't compatible. It was also listed as compatible with the LJ 2200. I checked before I opened the box. They told me to take theirs back also. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Ron

Reply to
rkg
Loading thread data ...

Ron, I found out that with a possibly similar HP LJ that it was not possible, in that some printers actually function similar to "winprinters" vice communicating per "Internet printing." The former uses the pc's cpu for much of its work, at a pretty low level, vice taking input in a control language.

I tried to set this up on a USR 5461 for my sister. On subsequent attempts, I'll verify beforehand that a candidate printer can work with that WAP/Router/etc as a print-server, and communicate with the usb port on the USR 5461.

Doing similar with a Netgear print-server and Brother HL-1570 at home was a relative snap.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

rkg hath wroth:

No model numbers on the Netgear or Linksys so I can't help you with determining what was wrong.

I have an HP2100TN at home. It's an older mutation of your HP 2200DT. The "D" means you have double sided printing. The "N" means network or ethernet. That means you're trying to do this using either the parallel or serial port. It can be done but it's so much easier using ethernet.

Go shopping and find a the corresponding ethernet card. Mine has a JetDirect 600N J3110A card, which should also work on yours. I think I overpaid about $60 total on eBay.

If you can run a CAT5 cable from the card to your router and you're done. No wireless required.

However, if you want wireless, it's a simple matter to add a "workgroup bridge" or "wireless ethernet client bridge" or some other mutation that allows you to add a *CLIENT* computer into wireless network. The nomenclature is horrible at this point. You're building a print SERVER, but you're using a CLIENT (bridge) adapter to make the connection. It's NOT a print server.

A partial list of suitable candidates are at:

Not everything on this list will work so ask first. I've used a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP but that might be overkill. I've also used a Linksys WET11, WAP54G, and some model "game adapter" to bridge ethernet devices.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.