wireless ap in an existing lan

G'Day, Im a programmer and am setting up my small home network.

it looks someting like this

--[adsl modem]----[(red)smothwall(green)]-----[ 5 port hub ] | | | | | | | [pc1] [pc2] |

[wireless router (ap)].... (wireless notebook)

ip's smothwall 192.168.069 pc1 192.168.0. 3 pc2 129.168.0.4 wireles router 192.168.0.68 (dlink-dl524) notebook 192.168.0.71

5 port hup is a unmanaged old thing. one of its port is connected to the wireless ap (not the wap port though).

everything works exept the notebook can't ping the pc's or the smothwall. the notebook can acess the internet (through the smothwall). pc1 and 2 and ping the notebook and acess it's file shares. But the notebook can not acess the pc's file shares or even ping the pc's.

it's got me pretty confused.... Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

-dm

Reply to
the.duckman
Loading thread data ...

lets try the diagram in a google goups freindly format...

[adsl mdm]--[smothwll]--[ 5 port hub ] | | | | [pc1] [pc2] | [wireless router (ap)] .... (wireless notebook)

Reply to
the.duckman

On 1 Sep 2006 09:43:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Wireless router needs to be configured as an access point -- see wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks,

-dm

Reply to
the.duckman

It would seem iv'e done everything to correctly set my wireless router as a AP. it still only wors one way... the lan can get to the wireless but not the otherway round.... I suspect that the netgear dl-524 is to blame it seems to hide all it's settings and not let me mess with certain filtering rules...

I have heard of other people having problems with this model so I will try a different unit.

-dm

Reply to
the.duckman

On 1 Sep 2006 17:43:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

I doubt the DI-524 is the problem, Bridging is simple. My guess is configuration or security. Turn off all security while troubleshooting.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.