Wireless AP Client configuration

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, and if i'm not in the right group please be kind to tell me what group I should be posting. This said, here is my problem:

I want to configure a wireless network between two building in this way:

in building [A] I have: -A wireless AP router with a wireless G network. (192.168.0.x LAN & WLAN network) -This is the router that have access to internet. -Wired and wireless client

In building [B] I have: -A Dlink DWL-7100AP ( a wireless AP a/g) -A Dlink 704P router (192.168.2.x LAN network) -Wired clients only

What i done (and that don't work yet) is: -I configured the 7100AP in "AP Client" mode and connected to the building [A] wireless network. -I then plugged the the 7100AP in the wan port on my DLink704P router. But even if i configure the WAN ip by DHCP or static, i can't have access to internet. The best i done was access the 7100AP with a wired client on the 704P and 7100AP in the Wan port of the 704P.

I just want to get internet access of the other network, i dont care accessing client in the building [A].

Following Dlink the manual of the 7100AP, the "AP client" mode is to convert any non wireless device in a wireless one. So if follow their logic, it can serve by example to plug your playstation2 wirelessly to your wireless network. In this manner, the network adapter of the ps2 will ask an IP to the DHCP server of the AP Master using the AP Client. In the same manner, i thought that in my setup, the 704P rooter should ask the 7100AP a wan IP, and the 7100AP should follow the request to his AP Master network.

But right now, i can't get this to work. So first of all, is what i'm trying to do possible ??? If so, what am i doing wrong ?

Hoping that I have been precise enough and that you guys can help me !

Regards, Arthur

(internet)======(AP Router Wireless G) - - - - - - - (Dlink DWL-7100 AP (in client mode)

Reply to
dyniper
Loading thread data ...

On 14 Aug 2006 10:33:44 -0700, "dyniper" wrote in :

You don't need or want a router in building B since you already have a router in the building A -- just put switches or hubs behind the 7100AP, and computers in building B will be configured by the router in building A and become part of the same network.

When a 2nd router is put behind a first router you wind up with "double NAT" which can usually be made to work, but which will interfere with things like VPN and SSL.

With consumer-grade gear you're going to essentially make them all part of the same network. With business grade gear you could isolate them in separate network segments/secutity zones.

It's actually a wired-to-wireless bridge.

Or any other Ethernet device.

Yep.

Yep, although you don't really want to do that, as explained above.

See above.

Reply to
John Navas

First, thank you for your quick answer, I really appreciate it. I'll try what you have told me (using a switch or hub in building B connected to the 7100AP.

But I have one more interrogation: What LAN ip I have to put in the

7100AP ?? Static in the network of the Master AP? or with Dynamic IP ?

And the configuration that i wanted to do was to hide the PCs of building B network from client of building A network. And I dont think i will be able to do it with the setup you suggest to me.

Best Regards, Arthur

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
dyniper

On 14 Aug 2006 14:52:16 -0700, "dyniper" wrote in :

The 7100AP is a bridge, so the only IP is the web management interface, which could be configured for the same netblock as the LAN/WLAN, but not to conflict with any other device. The best way to do that is by DHCP, especially if the main router can be configured to reserve an IP for that MAC address. Or you could manually configure it for a different netblock, but then you'd have to switch the IP to match on whatever PC you want to use for administration. But there should be little or no administration once everything is working, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

Correct, but to do that would take a considerably different setup. As I wrote before:

With consumer-grade gear you're going to essentially make them all part of the same network. With business grade gear you could isolate them in separate network segments/secutity zones.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks a lot John, with your tips i've been able to configure the network exactly as i wanted: 2 different networks with networks A for WAN of the network B.

Thanks again, Arthur

Reply to
dyniper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.