Dlink AP error while configuring

Hi,

I cannot set the ip address for the DWL 2700 AP , as soon as i set the ip address , it resets and then it shows 0.0.0.0 . According to customer service , i got it replaced but the same problem again.

I have two Ap , 1 is working perfectly alright , the second one is giving trouble , i set the 1st 1 as dhcp server and the second one as client and it started giving problems, this happened to last 1 also. Now its not allowing me to change config or set the ip ...

Reply to
rulzwrld
Loading thread data ...

Could you clarify what eqpt. you have and what you are trying to do. Have you 1 or 2 DWL 2700AP's and what are they connected to? If 2 DWL 2700AP's then neither of them is a DHCP server, you can set them to obtain an IP from a DHCP server(page 32 of manual) or have a Static IP.

Reply to
Kev

I have two APs , 1 is working perfectly alright , the second one , when i try to set the ip , it sets the ip, resets the AP and shows the ip address as 0.0.0.0 and same subnetmask. I cannot change the config or telnet it or connect it because it has this invalid ip

Reply to
rulzwrld

Does pressing the reset button not return it to it's default setting?

Reply to
Kev

Hi,

I have a flock of DWL-7100AP's, so I'll try to help you out.

First: Is this just a simple "home-type" network topology -- and even if so, are you after subnets here?

I'm going to assume simple, with no subnets, unless you say otherwise...

What you provided: You have two DLink DWL-2700 AP's. One if functioning correctly as an AP, while the other AP you want to use as a just a simple client. Ok. That is very reasonable. I've used one of the DWL-7100AP's as just a client before. These are just indoor 802.11a/g/b AP's, but same idea. One of them actually is running outside though. :-)

What you didn't provide: How is the (working) DWL-2700AP, running as an AP, obtaining it's IP? Is there a router somewhere in this mix? If so, thats is where the "client" DWL-2700AP should be getting it's DHCP from also, not the "AP" DWL-2700AP. What you are seeing could be DHCP collision.

I'm sure there are probably more variables going on, (there always is), but thats the first thing I thought of with what you provided...

The DWL-2700AP, while it does have a "DHCP server", isn't a router. Its more like a wireless HUB switch. I.e., I take one of my DWL-7100AP's with me when I travel in my laptop bag. Mainly use it just to repeat hotel's wifi, but occassionaly have set it up to make a quick LAN between co-workers and I so we could play multiplayer games against each other. It can create a local network, but can't route two networks together. In other words, the local LAN can't be routed to internet using just a DWL-7100AP.

Reply to
Eric

Hi , thanks for replying ....

I just want to set it up , so that i can use it on other side of the building. There are 10 computers at other side of the building, I wanna connect them to our network(of 160 wks) and they will logon through our domain and acccess our network as well as Internet.

I think so , i did some mistake in setting it up , I made the 1st working AP as DHCP server and the other AP as Client.... Now to my knowledge the problem is they both cant communicate, thats the reason y the second AP is taking ip address 0.0.0.0 on it own.

Primary goal is to connect 10 computer to our network through the AP and make them behave as if they are in same LAN.

Reply to
rulzwrld

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.