Access Point that supports Wireless Client - Client Mode

I am looking for a access point that supports "Client Mode" like the DLink DWL-2100AP.

This is different from bridge mode.

Also I know it can be done with some routers using a hacked firmware...but I really want an out of the box solution other than the

2100AP, is there any other router that supports this?
Reply to
gencode
Loading thread data ...

I doen't know the DWL-2100AP

You will need something where both the access point (the first AP) that you will be using the client mode access point up against, and the client mode access point (the second AP) support (the same flavour of) WDS.

My D-Link DWL-G700AP (f/w 2.1 EU) access point in repeater mode (the second AP) can connect by wireless to my Trendnet TEW-510APB (f/w

1.1.2.1 EU) access point using the 2.4 GHz ISM band - the TEW-510APB being a dual band access point - as a client. The DWL-G700AP can also act as a repeater for the TEW-510APB (the first AP) at the same time. Encryption is WPA-PSK (TKIP).

Although the TEW-510APB supports client mode, according to the Trendnet FAQ, it doesn't work with WPA encryption the other way; the with the TEW-510APB (as the second AP) in repeater mode and the DWL-G700AP as an access point (the first AP). But I haven't tried it.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Well, the exact buzzword varies with the vendor. Client mode is also bridging which creates considerable confusion. See:

for my attempt to untangle the buzzwords. It's not perfect but it might help.

John Navas made a nice list of "wireless ethernet bridges" at:

Most (not all) of those listed will do client mode but you'll need to check the mfg specs to be sure.

I would recommend using a WRT54G or WHR-HP-G54 router, with DD-WRT v23 SP2 firmware in the client mode.

However, if you insist on stock firmware, you can checkout the available features with the online emulators at:

DD-WRT emulator:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.