Netstumbler no wireless adapter found (again)

Hello all, I know that this has been posted a few billion times by others, but here goes anyway. I'm running Netstumbler 0.4.0, but more often than not, I get the dreaded "No wireless adapter found" error. My wireless card (Linksys

802.11.g) is listed as supported, and I've tried using both blank SSID's and SSID of "ANY" (without quotes), but most of the time time I just get the error message. Once in a blue moon, it does work, and I see my (and my neighbors) access points listed, but this is a very rare occurence. I can't find a pattern of when it works versus when it doesn't. I'm sure folks are tired of seeing posts about this problem, but I'm gonna try anyway. Any ideas of what I can try next? If I can't get Netstumbler to work, is there any other software that would provide similar funcionality? I'm willing to pay, so it doesn't have to be freeware. I used to use Winc Cirond, which I really liked, but unfortunately they stopped supporting it before I got a chance to purchase it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Phil

Reply to
Phil
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:01:50 -0700, "Phil" wrote in :

The SSID is irrelevant.

Probably because something else has control of the wireless adapter. Stop or disable any such software.

Reply to
John Navas

Make sure you do NOT have wireless zero config managing your wireless connection... Same for some of the older version of linksys software, download the newest version.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

I'm pretty sure that the Linksys software is the only thing controlling the adapter. As far as the SSID, I guess it's coincedence, but that seems to be the only way I can intermitently make it work. By intermittent, I mean maybe after Netstumber has been scanning (at it's fastest rate) for about 20 minutes. If I make the SSID valid (i.e. non-blank, the name of my network or any others), it never connects

I'm open to suggestions on how to confirm that nothing else is messing with the adapter!

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Reply to
Phil

I think you're actually better off running Windows WZC service, since Network Stumbler knows how to stop and restart it, something that might not be true for other connection managers.

If you do stick with the Linksys connection manager, try to shut it down before running Network Stumbler.

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:55:03 -0700, "Phil" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
Peter Pan

I'm not using WEP, but WPA with a non-shared key, and I'm not broadcasting my SSID. This does work intermittently, as long as I use the Linksys software to temporarily connect to a non-existent network with a blank SSID. After that, it does work, but is ratther spotty.

Reply to
Phil

Huh?!?

Reply to
Doug Jamal

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 15:34:35 GMT, "Doug Jamal" wrote in :

Many wireless client bridge devices have you specify the network you want to connect to by SSID. Leaving SSID blank (or sometimes set to "ANY") means connect to any available network (a generally bad idea).

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.