NTL wireless?

Does anyone know if you can connect a Belkin wireless router to an NTL broadband modem downstairs,allowing the NTL TV to continue working, while a laptop is on broadband wirelessly upstairs? If so a few words of advice would be most helpful...

Reply to
Quilljar
Loading thread data ...

"Quilljar" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Yes, you can and the TV service is not affected. Read all about it here:

formatting link

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:21:01 +0100, "Quilljar" wrote in :

I know no reason it wouldn't work -- why are you concerned?

Reply to
John Navas

Because a friend has asked me to do this for her and I am not sure how to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Quilljar

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:17:40 +0100, "Quilljar" wrote in :

Hook it up and configure it.

Reply to
John Navas

Clearly this is easy stuff to you John, but frankly I was hoping for a little more detail. What sort of wire? What hooks up to what? DoI need a password or keyword? Stuff like that. As I am doing it for someone else I do not want to spend the time learning by trial and error which I wd be happy to do for myself.

Reply to
Quilljar

on 15/08/2006, Quilljar supposed :

Perhaps they should get somebody who knows what they are doing to hook it up for them.

Reply to
Gubo Dangle

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:05:08 +0100, "Quilljar" wrote in :

Each product is different, and you aren't providing much detail. The Belkin wireless router should have come with instructions -- no? You read them -- right? Basically the Ethernet cable that I assume now runs from the NTL modem to a computer will need to be disconnected from the computer and then plugged into the WAN/Internet port on the router. Use another Ethernet cable (one may have come with the router) to connect the computer port to a LAN port on the router. Then use the computer to configure the router. Be sure to set a unique SSID for the wireless (e.g., "QuillyNet"), and once you have wireless working, be sure to enable WPA security with a strong passphrase. (No other security option, including WEP, has any real value.)

Read the manual for the wireless router.

Reply to
John Navas

Yes they should, but as long as I can convince them, I will try! LOL :-)

Reply to
Quilljar

Thanks John. very helpful. I will be reading the manual when I get to the house. I am sure I can manage now, but a bit of extra help is always useful.

Reply to
Quilljar

Once I have used the laptop to configure the router, my friend will want to disconnect it and use it upstairs wirelessly from the router which has to stay downstairs. There will not be another computer connected by ethernet to the router. Will that be OK?

Quilly,

Reply to
Quilljar

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:30:46 +0100, "Quilljar" wrote in :

That will be OK. However, it's by no means certain the wireless signal will successfully propagate through the floor and any walls. If the signal is weak, try orienting (tilting) the antenna(s) on the wireless router at 90 degrees from the signal path. (Signal radiates most strongly around the sides of a stock "rubber duck" antenna.)

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks a lot John!

Reply to
Quilljar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.