Wired and Wireless

Yes. You can use a WAP (wireless access point) for this. You can also use a wireless router as a wireless access point by simply ignoring the WAN port and disabling the DHCP server. You'll find that wireless routers are cheaper than WAP's and also include a 4 port switch.

Yes. The wireless links are bridges. They know nothing about IP addresses. They act exactly as if they were ethernet extension cables.

With a wireless router, you can put them on a seperate network. However, that's neither necessary or something you would want to do.

Yep. That's about it.

Wrong. ADSL maximum speed is about 6Mbits/sec. Unless you're paying for this, you'll probably be rate capped at about 1.5Mbits/sec.

802.11g will do about 15-25Mbits/sec thruput at short (10ft) range. The speed will go down as the range increases. The wireless thruput is at least 10 times faster than what I'm guessing your ADSL connection will do. Unless you're operating at the extreme distance, are going through many walls, or have lots of multipath and interference, I wouldn't worry about the internet to wireless speed.

Dunno. You haven't described the problem. What problem are you trying to solve? What do you have to work with? Where are you stuck?

W95, 98, ME, NT4, W2K, XP, WinCE, etc?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Stuart wrote in news:42534514$ snipped-for-privacy@dnews.tpgi.com.au:

That's what a WAP is for to bridge the wire and wireless network together and both networks with the machines on them can share resources and the wireless can access the Internet too.

You plug the WAP into a LAN port on the router and forget about it.

The wire is faster with a 100 mps wire NIC and I would think with a 10 Mps it wouldn't be much of a speed difference either.

NO

So?

You may also want to look into a print server that can be plugged into the router and a printer attached to the print server. The printer becomes a network printer and all machines wired and wireless can print to the printer without the printer being connected to a computer with the computer being on for other computers to use the printer.

Print servers are cheap here in the US. You can get a good one for about $50 USD.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

FWIW Linksys, and possibly others make a WiFI print server. This means that the printer can be put anywhere there's a 120VAC outlet.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Hello,

At the moment I have an ADSL Ethernet 4 port Router.

I use this to connect two PC's to the internet and to each other. It is a little network with the same workgroup so I can share files and games and use the internet.

I have two PC's in other rooms. Can I get a Wireless access point device and plug it in to one of the spare ports on the ADSL router ?

I have two Wireless NIC's for the other PC's . Will this enable me to make a network of all four PC'S ? Or will the wireless ones be on a separate network ? Will the internet go from one port of the ADSL router to the Wireless Access point and onto the other PC's ?

I dont want to replace the ADSL router because I am of the belief ( maybe mistakenly ) the the wired connection is faster than 54Mps Wireless.

Am I looking at the wrong solution ?

Oh, it is a Microsoft operating system.

Thanks

Stuart

Melbourne , Australia

Reply to
Stuart

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote in news:d30qs2$di7$ snipped-for-privacy@panix5.panix.com:

Why do you need a WiFI print server? That would cost a more $$$. I had no problems printing from a wire or wireless machine using the wire printer server connected to a LAN port on the router, since the router is the gateway for the LAN.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks for your help,

I think I tried to describe what I was trying to do. That is, to use two more PC's wirelessly on a network that is already wired by instaling a Wireless Access Point ( or WAP, as I have now discovered it is called )

I have described what I have , 2 PC's wired , 2 PC's floating , an ADSL Router and two 54mps PCI Wireless NIC's.

I don't think I am stuck now that you ( and another ) have described how I can use a 'WAP' to achieve what I am after.

Does Win 98 SE make any difference to the outcome ?

Regards

Stuart

Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Stuart

Thank you Duane,

I think I can proceed as I guessed I might be able to and keep my fingers crossed it will end up with the seamless " forget about it " option.

The printer idea is interesting too, although I do have to discourage the other half who thinks web documents should come in reams regardless of the cartridge cost.

Regards

Stuart

Melbourne , Australia

Reply to
Stuart

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.