Wireless LAN Access point instead of wireless card?

Hi Guys, need a bit of advice. A friend of mine wants to network his 2 pc's together. One PC is connected to His ADSL modem which is connected to a wireless router. Now here's the problem. He has no available pci slots on his other machine so he cant put in a wireless PCI card. he went to the local pc shop and they sold him a Micronet SP918GL wireless access point which the pc guy said would just plug into his lan port and "talk" to the wireless router in the other room.. He wants me to set it up for him this week, Am i right in saying that it wont be possible? I was under the impression a wireless lan access point was to attach to a wired router to be able to broadcast to pc's with a wireless card installed. Can it do both?

Reply to
Gladdy
Loading thread data ...

Many APs can work in a number of different modes, including client mode, which is what you want. I know the Linksys WAP54G does this, you'll have to dig up the manual for the Micronet...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Hi William, Thanks for your reply, I found the following about it on the net,

"Micronet SP918GL Wireless LAN Access Point is a next generation Wireless LAN solution compliant with 802.11g standard which also works with IEEE 802.11b. SP918GL enables user's flexibility and mobility by the integration between wired and wireless network. Compliant with IEEE

802.11 , 802.11b and 802.11g standards Provide 1 RJ-45 LAN ports of 10/100M Support operation mode Infrastructure, Station Adapter and WDS (Wireless Distribution System) Function Support auto data rate selection at 108, 54, 48, 36, 24, 18, 12, 9 and 6M for IEEE802.11g Support modulation with Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) for IEEE 802.11g and Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) technology for IEEE 802.11b Operate in 2.4GHz frequency band Support 64(40)/128/152 bit WEP, WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) and Access Control List for security Support web-based and telnet management "

does this make things any clearer? I cant seem to find any dcumentation which suggests this access point supports client mode.

William P.N. Smith wrote:

Reply to
Gladdy

Just a URL is usually enough:

formatting link
in the docs or literature that suggests it can be used as a client adapter.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hello,

No, this does not make things clearer at all. As other poeple should have said: RTFM! If you don't know where to find it, have a look in the package box.

If the device does not have a switch to change the mode from AP to client, then, it can be done by browsing the device's configuration page.

Get the FM and look at paragraph 3.2.2 page 13, all you need is there.

Ciao @+

Gladdy wrote:

Reply to
F8BOE

If the above doesn't work in client mode....

Has he got a fast USB port spare? I'm using one of these USB devices..

formatting link

Reply to
CWatters

I'm not sure what "Station Adapter" mode is, but that might be it.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Yeah, looks like that's it, though the manual is written in such poor english that I'd run screaming.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

William P.N. Smith hath wroth:

Oops. I missed that:

formatting link
Section 3.2.2 Station Mode is used to let a network device with only wired Ethernet function to have wireless LAN communication capability. However, on Page 15, the name gets warped into "Station Infrastructure Mode".

It also apparently does WDS which can be used with a similar access point to play client adapter.

Do I add "station mode" to the FAQ as yet another name for a bridge as "wireless workgroup bridge client game station infrastructure ethernet adapter"?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!! 8*)

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:53:00 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

LOL!

Reply to
John Navas

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:49:04 +0100, "CWatters" wrote in :

Even a slow USB port is sufficient for most consumer broadband.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.