Wi Fi Hotspot Scanning Utility Win 98

I am trying to install a Wi Fi scanning utility for a friend with limited computer skill and no how. Dell P2 laptop. Win 98 SE. Linksys g pcmcia card. ( an older version which runs of 200 mhz). Boingo seemed to slow the computer to a crawl - anyone have similar experiences . Boingo was not on startup. Netstumbler for some reason would not load. Any suggestions ??

thank you

Reply to
frankdowling1
Loading thread data ...

NetStumbler requires win2000 or xp.

Reply to
Roby

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" hath wroth:

Any particular Dell model? Just curious.

Any particular Linksys model number?

Incidentally, the slowest Pentium II processor was 233Mhz.

It shouldn't. I run it on a really old Micron Pentium II/133 laptop. However, it has 256Mbytes of RAM. If your Dell whatever laptop is lacking in sufficient RAM (i.e. 64MB), everything will be slow.

Netstumbler 0.4.0 will not work on Windoze 98SE. Netstumbler 0.3.30 will work with Win 98SE and WinME However, it has a very limited number of peripherals that will function.

formatting link
clue on your Linksys whatever card.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

card is the Linksys G WRT54G Linksys PCMCIA card. the version does not apear to be marked. The card is not current - at least a year old. The processor was a 233 mHZZ PII . I was just asking if any else had noticed anything similar with the Boingo software or was it just coincidental or the knob behind the keyboard.

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

Ummmm... The WRT54G is a wireless router, not a PCMCIA card. There is a similar router that accepts a PCMCIA card into the router. I'm too lazy to lookup the number.

Unlike wine, wireless card do not get better with age.

It probably still is a PII-233.

How much RAM in the laptop? If 64MBytes, it will be REALLY slow.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
dold

Jeff,

my apologies. guess the fingers are most used to Linksys G WRT54G the PCMCIA card correctly is a WPC54G . Apparently the box does not list the version . Card is at least a year old. The PII 233 Dell Lattitude CP Laptop has 128 mb of ram.

thank you

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXWiXFi.usenet.us.com wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

Nope. Not supported by the older version of Netstumbler. I also lied. My ancient Micron laptop is a PII/300.

That usually means that it's version 1.0.

I have one of those in the office (in the parts pile). Works so-so but I've never trying Boingo on it. 128MBytes should be enough for Windoze 98SE.

Maybe the best approach is to forget about Windoze and try a Linux Live-CD with Kismet instead of Netstumbler. It produces more useful information. No need to reformat your hard disk. Just boot the CD and it should find your wireless WPC54G card. Checking the supported list:

formatting link
not listed. Checking the chipset:
formatting link
Broadcom is usually a problem for Linux drivers. Maybe Linux isn't such a great idea. New card?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.