Pix 501 and Windows 98

Hello,

I'm perplexed here.

I have a client with 10 workstations....a combination of WinXP, Win2000, and one running Win98. All are going through a Pix 501.

All can access the internet with no difficulty when hard wired to the network. When connected through a Linksy wireless access point, two laptops running XP can connect to the internet and network through the Pix with no problem. However, one old IBM laptop running Win 98 cannot access the network or the internet when using a PCMCIA DLink wireless LAN card. It connects to the wireless access point with no problem but can't connect through the Pix to the internet or the network.

What's strange is when I take the laptop to my office, the wireless works fine. I'm not using a Pix at the office....only a netgear router firewall connected to a cable modem.

Is there an issue with Win 98 and the Pix 501 firewall? I'm current on the bios version....6.35

Again, there are no problems with the Pix other than the laptop not being able to get from the wireless access point through the Pix to the internet and the internal network.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the issue? I'll post my config is need be.

Thanks for any pointers/suggestions,

Buck

Reply to
Buck Rogers
Loading thread data ...

Can you ping the PIX when it is connected to the wireless network? I dot see a reason for a PIX to deny you access on Windows98. From your post it appears that you can not browse internal resources? If that is the case the PIX is not your problem it is with the WAP.

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

Chad,

Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct, I can't access the internal network.

I agree it appears to be the wireless access point.

I'll do some more troubleshooting and report back my results to the group.

Thanks again,

Buck

Reply to
Buck Rogers

When no access to the LAN, you client are having problems, not your PIX. Check if the supplicant software for win98 are working correctly, and that you authenticate and obtain IP for the NIC.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Martin,

Thanks for the input. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow.

Regards,

Buck

Reply to
Buck Rogers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.