Older Laptop Network Card - now wish to go wireless

Hello, I have an old NetGear network card for my laptop. 100Mbps. It's uses a PCMICA interface connected to a RJ45 dongle. It's IEEE

802.3u compliant. I now would like to use it to go wireless. My questions are: 1) Is there an external antenna that can plug into the RJ45 jack on the dongle? 2) Since it's only 802.3u compliant how to get to 802.11g? Is there a kit (cheap) that will enable this?

Any help is appreciated.

J
Reply to
hdjim69
Loading thread data ...

No.

Again, no. You're trying to make apple pie with oranges. Your current network adapter card is designed for use with wired networks only. If you want to use radio waves, you'll have to buy an adapter with a radio in it,

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

To #1, no.. that's wired ethernet only to #2, does your older laptop have a usb port and what opsys does it run? (if usb and win me or later, usb dongles are under $40)

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:06:55 -0800 (PST), hdjim69 wrote in :

No.

No kit period.

The only way to go wireless with it is to buy and attach a wireless Ethernet client bridge.

Cheaper to get a wireless PC Card.

Reply to
John Navas

Erm, just replace the network card with a wireless one.

You could use an ethernet to wireless bridge, but then you'd have a separate box AND a power supply for it.

A new card, however, is likely to be considerably less expensive.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

So let me see if I got this right. If I have an old laptop with a built-in Ethernet rj45 jack in the back, I can just plug into a wired network. To work at wifi hotspots I need another network adapter card.

I see bluetooth usb dongles on ebay for like $10. Is that all I need or do I need more? I'm running an older os, win2k server. do I need wifi software or does it come with the bluetooth usb dongle?

Thanks for all your help.

J
Reply to
hdjim69

Uh, yeah, that's painfully obvious ain't it?

Erm, no, bluetooth has nothing to do with wifi. And do yourself a favor and pickup the card from a local retailer. If it doesn't work properly then you don't want to get stuck paying for return shipping. Fleabay is not the place to be 'learning' what works or not, you'll waste far more money than makes sense.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:23:08 -0800 (PST), hdjim69 wrote in :

You need a >> Wi-Fi

Reply to
John Navas

No, I don't think you have it straight. Your statement here is different from your statement in the original post.

0> It's uses a PCMICA interface connected to a RJ45 dongle.

That wouldn't be a built-in jack. That would be a PCMCIA card, with a dongle, that you suggest could be connected to some other widget to go wireless.

From an Ethernet port, either built-in or your card/dongle combination, you could plug in a wireless client adapter, but those are far more expensive than a new card, and would be large and unwieldy.

Others have suggested that you pop out the PCMCIA card and put in a new

802.11g card in its place.

Bluetooth would be a different thing altogether, most commonly used to connect to a cellphone for contact synchronization, maybe internet access via a cellular data plan.

You didn't say you had USB. You didn't say if your USB is 1.1 or 2.0 speed, you didn't say what OS you have until now. There are USB dongles for 802.11g, maybe still some 802.11b. The "b" might be in the $10 range, and would match the speed of an old USB 1.1 port. The USB-802.11g adapters are more in the $40 range from retail outlets, and USB all operate on USB

1.1 or USB 2.0 ports.should be okay on Win2k.

It's easier if we know what you have.

Reply to
dold

Go with a USB wireless G dongle to make sure that you are good for some time. Due to being low down on the side of the laptop, PCMCIA cards are generally not as good reception.

Here's a good list of adapters:

formatting link
Check the ratings before you buy!

I prefer ones with external antenna connectors as they are more flexible, but they cost more. This one is my quick pick:

formatting link
Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

you're mixing apples, oranges, and peaches....

802.xxxx is merely a standards group that works on getting Ethernet packets transmitted across different physical media

802.3 = wired ethernet via RJ45 (either built-in or PCMCIA card)

802.11b/g = WiFi - common wireless access - again a PCMCIA card with the WiFi electronics bluetooth - a "personal" area network... like cellphone to headset or PDA to laptop again - a different technology requiring a different PCMCIA card with different electronics

now - the physical choices.... PCMCIA card to slide into the laptop slot for WiFi, bluetooth, Ethernet RJ45 or the USB dongle solutions for WiFi, bluetooth, Ethernet RJ 45

Reply to
P.Schuman

Win2k Server might be a problem - you need to have the driver software for the specific card, and Win2k (server) support might be a challenge for some of these...

Reply to
P.Schuman

Hmmm. Maybe so, I don't know, but otoh, his PC slot is probably not used for anything else, and his USB port might be needed for a memory stick or something. My laptop is old, but the PC slot and the USB jack are about the same height, on opposite sides.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.