Wifi scanning under Back Track 3 LiveCD

Hi all !

I'm a total n00b so please bear with me.

I downloaded BT3 liveCD yesterday, and had a test run last nite.

First of all, I want to report that the BT3 liveCD does recognize my Tendra USB Wifi dongle and identifies it as a 54MB wireless NIC

Second of all, I only tested the GUI, haven't yet dwell into the shell thing yet.

However, when it comes to wifi scanning, I just can't get anything done.

1. Although Kismet is listed in the file list, it is not functioning. When I clicked on the kismet thingy, nothing happened. I tried clicking on it several time, nothing happened.

1. Although BT3 LiveCD does recognize the existence of my Tendra USB wifi dongle, and identify it as "54MB wireless NIC", wicrawl doesn't seem to know that.

When I launched wicrawl, it kept telling me that there's no "interface" or whatever like that.

This is kinda strange in a way. If Linux that runs the BT3 liveCD can detect my Tendra USB wifi dongle, how come wicrawl doesn't know anything about it??

My questions hence ---

A. How to enable kismet? No matter how many times I click on the kismet thing, nothing happened.

B. How to make wicrawl recognize the Tendra USB wifi dongle?

Please help.

Thank you !!

Reply to
pg
Loading thread data ...

I tried that, and ended up using the command line tools, airmon-ng, airodump-ng, and aireplay-ng. Provided the AP you're trying to get into has at least one connected client, you can be done in a very short time.

Check out the article at

formatting link
. It focusses on BT2, but it all still applies to BT3.

Reply to
Keith

I have never heard of "Tendra" did you mean "Tenda"?

Not that it makes any difference as I don't know whether they manufacture their own chipsets or use someone else's and without knowing the chipset I don't know whether it will work. Your best bet would be to ask on the remote exploit forum to see if anyone has got one to work.

Reply to
LR

In a terminal, enter the command '/usr/sbin/lsusb' and post the line that pertains to your wifi dongle. That way we will know if that device is supported at all.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

That doesn't work in my version of BT3 running as a live CD. ' lsusb' gives the ID No and mfr'r e.g BUS 1 Device 2: ID 0586:3410 ZYXEL Communications Corp

or if I go to menu-->System-->System Information-->USB Devices it lists my particular example device as a Zydas/Zyxel G-202 so he he could try looking there.

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.