trying to connect Apple Mac to PC Wifi Network

Can his machine use a built-in WiFi card? Our iMac G5 works with a built-in card, though we tend to use a wire for {faster,more reliable} connectivity.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

I have no idea, talk to the folks at Apple, they will know which cards or adapters really work with that machine, as opposed to the vendors who might have hoped that their product will work with some Macs.

If you can, run a wire, you'll be much happier.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Sorry if this is the wrong NG .......

I have a PC running WinXP Home SP2 and a WiFi router for internet access. My son has an Apple Mac G4 running Tiger that we would like to access the web using WiFi. I tried a USB dongle thingy from D-Link, which purported to be Mac compatible but the Mac didn't even recognise it as being present when plugged into a USB port. Should I be using a LAN to Wifi bridge?? If so, any recommendations??

thx in advance

Reply to
Jon Manley

What sort of built-in card are you referring to?? (excuse my ignorance)

Its a shame really .... we have the broadband coming in on the ground floor and my son's room is upstairs .... if his Mac was downstairs and my PC upstairs, we could simply attach the router to his Mac and use any one of a vast number of WiFi adaptors on my PC.

Ah well, I would be awkward!!!!!

Reply to
Jon Manley

On the upper right tool bar there is a small pie shaped icon that resembles a aircraft radar screen from one of the old sci-fi movies. Click on that and you should get into the network options, select Airport and ON.

There is more but I don't have my G4 near me at this time.

Reply to
NotMe

"William P.N. Smith"

| >What sort of built-in card are you referring to?? (excuse my ignorance) | | I have no idea, talk to the folks at Apple, they will know which cards | or adapters really work with that machine, as opposed to the vendors | who might have hoped that their product will work with some Macs. | | If you can, run a wire, you'll be much happier.

We have both and find the Wifi to be much more useful.

Reply to
NotMe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.