Where do I find WPA2-PSK AES on WinXP SP3

Where do I find WPA2-PSK AES on WinXP SP3?

I thought Windows XP Professional SP3 came with WPA2-PSK but I can't find it.

If I doubleclick on the Wireless Network Connection applet; And then I press "Change advanced settings"; On "Wireless Network Connections Properties" form "Wireless Networks" tab; I press the "Add" button and go to the "Association" tab; I give it a "Network name (SSID)" and check to connect even when the network isn't broadcasting the SSID.

The problem is here next ......

The "Network Authentication" only lists Open, Shared, WPA, & WPA-PSK; The "Data encryption" only lists Disabled & WEP.

But I want WPA2-PSK & AES. I thought WPA2-PSK came with service WinXP Pro SP3!

Do you know the secret for WPA2-PSK on the WinXP SP3 wireless connection? I googled, and tried the following from KB

formatting link
but it didn't change anything: c:\\> netsh int ip reset c:\\resetlog.txt

Reply to
Bill Wells
Loading thread data ...

Configuring Windows XP IEEE 802.11 Wireless Networks for the Home and Small Business

formatting link

Reply to
Kayman

Bill Wells said this on 2/6/2009 7:02 PM:

Your network card in your PC and the associated drivers determine the level of security its capable of not Windows, or so I thought.

Reply to
Big_Al

Hi Many capacities of the OS are not upfront applications but rather info files and system files that are ready to work if the Hardware and or an Applications need them. Windows XP SP3 include the capacity to impellent and use the current gamut of Wireless Security. However what would be used (or available) is dependent on the Wireless Card and the Wireless source (usually Wireless Router/Access Point). The Devices' Drivers are the one that provide the configuration info to Windows. From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is. No Security Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if it is Off) MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be easily Spoofed). WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people). WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).

------------------- The three above are Not considered safe. Safe Starts here at WPA.

------------------- WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break). WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable) WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable). Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2. Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.

formatting link
documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with your Wireless hardware. All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass phrase. Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible of one of the Wireless devices. I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP. If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the device with a better one. Setting Wireless Security -
formatting link
Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
formatting link
(MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.