Pulling my hair out over wireless problem

This is the perfect storm. I got a new laptop with built-in Intel Pro

5300AGN card and Vista Ultimate.

On this laptop, from time to time the WiFi just dies. Sometimes I get that if I click on a URL, the screen shows blank, but "Done" at the bottom. Other times I get that the browser (IE, FireFox or Chrome) is unable to locate the website (DNS problem).I have tried a number of remedies, but I can't figure out what/where the problem might lie.

I have two other wireless computers with Windows XP Pro and I don't observe any problems on those computers at the same time.

I have observed the following:

Usually if I disconnect and reconnect from the WiFi network (NetGear G router), then the problem disappears. Sometimes after a minute or so, the problem disappears, sometimes if I do IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS, the problem resolves, not always though. SOmetimes the status icon in the Windows taskbar says "Unidentified network" and then "Access local", other times it says "identifying ... (Greenleaf) where "greenleaf is the SSID of my wireless network.. Other times is just says "greenleaf (Private)" .

I'm out of options to troubleshoot this issue and would welcome any hints, tips or references where I can find information on what to look for.

Thank you all.

Reply to
MikeB
Loading thread data ...

can you try one or both of these easily? maybe g only, and/or only connect to ssid (greenleaf) ? Is there a slider for wait for reply/timeout (if your router does superg/turbog/whatever and thats enabled on the router side, it will take longer for it to reply) can you set your laptop to g only? (it will try and do stuff as a and n that your router will ignore cuz it doesn't do that)

are you using the manufacturers driver/utility or the windows wzc?

Reply to
Peter Pan

~ This is the perfect storm. I got a new laptop with built-in Intel Pro ~ 5300AGN card and Vista Ultimate. ~ ~ On this laptop, from time to time the WiFi just dies. Sometimes I get ~ that if I click on a URL, the screen shows blank, but "Done" at the ~ bottom. Other times I get that the browser (IE, FireFox or Chrome) is ~ unable to locate the website (DNS problem).I have tried a number of ~ remedies, but I can't figure out what/where the problem might lie. ~ ~ I have two other wireless computers with Windows XP Pro and I don't ~ observe any problems on those computers at the same time. ~ ~ I have observed the following: ~ ~ Usually if I disconnect and reconnect from the WiFi network (NetGear G ~ router), then the problem disappears. Sometimes after a minute or so, ~ the problem disappears, sometimes if I do IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS, the ~ problem resolves, not always though. SOmetimes the status icon in the ~ Windows taskbar says "Unidentified network" and then "Access local", ~ other times it says "identifying ... (Greenleaf) where "greenleaf is ~ the SSID of my wireless network.. Other times is just says "greenleaf ~ (Private)" . ~ ~ I'm out of options to troubleshoot this issue and would welcome any ~ hints, tips or references where I can find information on what to look ~ for. ~ ~ Thank you all.

I would start by installing the latest 12.2 code from intel.com & seeing if that fixes things.

If not, then I would wait for 12.4 (or whatever it is called) is posted and then see if that doesn't make things better.

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

I am tech support, and I know it all. I anxiously wait for your latest call. You've only to play, the game of voice mail, I'll be with you shortly, I'm working my tail.

Now tell me your problem, just what did you do? That cannot have happened. I haven't a clue. I may have the answer, though it's slightly late, Just buy the next version, release, or update.

Next, tell me your problem, no matter how small, I am tech support, and I know it all...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

One thing I noticed when I was working with a friends Vista laptop was the performance was horrible and the Wifi was acting weird. I went into the wifi card hardware setup, and changed the power saving feature to NO - leave it running - I think that it was getting turned off - if idle for some "x" time, and then having problems getting setup & connected again...

Reply to
ps56k

~ On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:05:23 -0700, Aaron Leonard ~ wrote: ~ ~ >If not, then I would wait for 12.4 (or whatever it is called) is posted ~ >and then see if that doesn't make things better. ~ ~ I am tech support, and I know it all. ~ I anxiously wait for your latest call. ~ You've only to play, the game of voice mail, ~ I'll be with you shortly, I'm working my tail. ~ ~ Now tell me your problem, just what did you do? ~ That cannot have happened. I haven't a clue. ~ I may have the answer, though it's slightly late, ~ Just buy the next version, release, or update. ~ ~ Next, tell me your problem, no matter how small, ~ I am tech support, and I know it all...

Read me now, believe me later ...

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.