BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 : Does it do WPA2-PSK ??

Hi, does anyone know if the buffalo whr-hp-g54 has WPA2-PSK builtin, or do one of the fan-firmwares like dd-wrt add that functionality? Thanks!

rms

Reply to
rms
Loading thread data ...

Here are the choices shown in my router, which still has the native firmware. I assume WPA2 is AES, but others will know for sure.

No Encryption

Wireless signal is not encrypted. Because communication contents may be intercepted, this choice is not recommended.

WEP

Encrypt wireless signal with WEP format. WEP is a basic encryption standard for wireless LANs. A WEP encryption key must be entered

TKIP

TKIP is a more secure encryption than WEP. It is also slower. Wireless clients will need to support TKIP. A WPA-PSK (Pre-shared key) must be inputted.

AES

AES is even more secure than TKIP and faster than WEP. Highly recommended if your client devices support it. A WPA-PSK (Pre-shared key) must be inputted.

Reply to
Peabody

DD-WRT does support it.

As far as I know AES is not WPA2. I might be wrong. I believe it's just WPA-PSK AES or TKIP.

However DD-WRT does support WPA and WPA2 both or either AES or TKIP.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

"rms" hath wroth:

According to the data sheet at:

it supports Supports WPS, WPA2, WPA (TKIP, AES) and 128/64-bit WEP Security. (I have no idea what WPS means).

DD-WRT firmware is nice because it also support WPA encryption in WDS mode as well as an automagic mode, that automagically selects TKIP or AES encryption depending on what the client can handle. AES is preferred and is tried first. If that fails, it tries TKIP.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It means "Wi-Fi Protected Setup". I recently set up a couple Buffalo APs with factory firmware and noticed it. It is supposed to be a simplified method to setup clients. Each WPS capable client apparently has a unique PIN number that you can pump into the AP.

Reply to
George

George hath wroth:

Thanks. Instead of AOSS or SES, the Wi-Fi Alliance now has WPS:

The PIN number is buried in the hardware and probably cannot be changed. Well, I guess it's progress. First we had passwords, then PAP/CHAP, encryption keys, magic cookies, security certificates, X.509, S-Key, 802.1x authentication, fingerprint ID, and now (insert drum roll), a 4 or 8 digit PIN code. Sigh.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

i use DD-WRT but not w/ buffalo products. I know that any supported router is better off w/ dd-wrt and the buffalo is a very good router. It's my understanding all WPA modes are supported.

Be carefull of WPA w/ WDS my understanding is wireless b clients are not supported in that mode.

Reply to
bman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.