IP failure in Wireless Network on WPA/PSK

Whenever I want to log on to the internet using my Laptop, it takes at least 2 times for my wireless networkcard to get a valid IP adres from the router. So the laptop connects to the router but does not receive a valid IP adres. It's a US robotics Gateway router and a US Robotics networkcard. The desktop computer connects easily to the internet. And only when using WPA/PSK it is nearly impossible to connect to the internet, by getting a proper IP adres. Please help me? I want to secure my wireless network, but logon easily.

Reply to
D. Poelma
Loading thread data ...

It's not the neigbor's wireless. It takes 2-3 times to log on to my own wireless network. I set a unique SSID, even changed it. but then again it is still not possible to get a valid IP when using WPA/PSK. If disabling WPA encryption log on takes only 5 seconds with a valid IP, however I do want to use WPA/PSK

Reply to
D. Poelma

It's not the neigbor's wireless. It takes 2-3 times to log on to my own wireless network. I set a unique SSID, even changed it. but then again it is still not possible to get a valid IP when using WPA/PSK. If disabling WPA encryption log on takes only 5 seconds with a valid IP, however I do want to use WPA/PSK

Reply to
D. Poelma
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

It's possible that you are actually connecting to a neighbor's wireless, which is prevented when you enable encryption, because your own signal is too weak or nonexistent. Be sure to set a unique SSID in your wireless router. Then use Network Stumbler (free) to see what wireless networks are available (including your own).

Reply to
John Navas

Possible interference. Run the Network Stumbler test I recommended. Also see:

"Minimizing 802.11 Interference Issues" at .

"Stop the interference!"

Reply to
John Navas

The usual - latest router firmware, latest WiFi NIC drivers... Change router channel (netstumbler will not show you all networks, only those that broadcast SSID).

Reply to
__spc__

I agree with you D. , it is not the neigbor's... It is WPA/PSK. How else do you explain that it wroks fine without it? I posted in here before, and basically was told in not so many words that I didnt know what I was doing. I work in the field, I set up networks for businesses and residential customers. I was doing that when wireless first came out.

I have tried to use WPA on 2 seperate netwroks, with 2 seperate hardware schemes. Both times, it was unstable at best. It was really not good, switch it over to WEP, and it works like a champ.

My opinion WPA-PSK is in "customer beta testing mode", and they will eventually get it right...

My 1st generation car mp3 player blows, but the ones now are good...

Reply to
paranoid

Possible interference. See my earlier post.

See my earlier posts: Wrong access point, or interference. Also possible cockpit error (no offense intended).

I've set up lots of wireless networks using WPA/PSK on different hardware, and they all work very well. What do you think explains the difference?

Reply to
John Navas

Because you set up lots of wireless networks and they all work very well, what is the percentage of yours vs. the world? maybe .000001 % .

And true, the same could be said for mine not working....

Real simple for me, and for the original poster...

It works without WPA, doesn't work with WPA..... let's see, what could it be...

"Cockpit Error" doesn't really cut it either. I mean, come on, if we can get it working fine without it, are we that dumb that we cant figure out how to select "WPA/PSK" on the client and the router side, and enter the same key 4 times? Cockpit error doesn't really work there....

Yes, very well good be hardware, but to me that goes along with the WPA/PSK. Lnksys, dlink, netgear...they all incorporate WPA/PSK into their wireless cards, and routers, and if it doesn't work in that mode, its hardware "related to WPA/PSK...or it could be software....either way its all got the same common thread, WPA.

Here are a few links describing very similar problems...

formatting link
And also there is a patch that addresses many problems that clients have had with WPA

formatting link
Instead of shooting "cockpit error" , and "its the neighbors network", you should really try to help and quit thinking we are stupid....there is problems with WPA, and for one to think that new technology doesn't have any problems and is perfect isn't very smart.... I work in the field as a pro, I have tried it, and have had mixed results....cockpit error doesn't work for me, if it connects and then drops, and does intermittent stuff, whets the cockpit error?

Reply to
paranoid

Works well for me. Doesn't work well for you. Draw your own conclusions.

Reply to
John Navas

I'm not so sure such problems are that uncommon. About 1.5 weeks ago, I upgraded a customers DI-624 ver c1 to whatever was the latest firmware. When I tried WPA/PSK with a brand new HP ZD8000 laptop, WPA failed, but WEP worked fine. The wireless was a combo 802.11g and Bluetooth and a Broadcom wireless chipset. Windoze update installed an update to the Broadcom driver. My usual WPA/PSK problem is a typing error, thanks to not being able to see what I type into the WPA key box. Not this time as I used cut-n-paste.

As a side note, what inspired the firmware upgrade was that the new HP ZD8000 would not connect to the DI-624 no matter what I tried. I also had problems connecting to what appeared to be the neighbors open access point. When I dragged in my laptop, no problem. When I dragged in a WGR-614 the ZD8000 worked fine. After I upgraded the DI-614 firmware, the laptop still didn't connect reliably. However, after I upgraded the Broadcom driver, everything worked, except WPA/PSK. I didn't try WPA to the WGR-614. At this point, I'm not sure if it's the DI-624 or the Broadcom driver (or both) that's broken.

For what it's worth, WPA problems do happen, but this is a first for me. I'll be working on other problems at this customers next week and will try WPA again.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So two people have a problem, and many don't. You like to see it as WPA/PSK not being ready for prime time, but the simpler answer is that the two of you have overlooked something. Clearly WPA doesn't work for you, but the mere fact that others can do it with no trouble means that either you have erred, or _your_ hardware is somehow different from others (it may well be that the manufacturer of your hardware _is_ in customer beta testing mode, but you're painting a lot of vendors with a very broad brush).

Reply to
Derek Broughton

"__spc__" wrote in news:Bq6cf.5941$fe6.2795 @newsfe2-win.ntli.net:

Are you sure about this? I haven't used it for a little while, but I seem to remember that it shows ALL wireless networks, whether they broadcast SSID or not.

Reply to
The Chairman

The Chairman wrote

Netstumbler shows only those that broadcast the SSID. I know; I've used it.

There are various other tools for monitoring traffic.

Reply to
Pete <out

In on Sun, 13 Nov 2005 08:17:21

+0000, Pete The Chairman wrote

It will show those with broadcast on but no SSID.

Reply to
John Navas

I'm not a pro like John, have only set-up my own home network. But I do have to agree with John. Using Netgear business-class equipment from the ProSafe line, I have both a wired router and a wireless access point that I am using. Even though I'm just some computer geek at home, WPA2-PSK worked on the first try for me.

I'm afraid my opinion is similar to John's, that is PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

Try it again, following the wireless devices' instructions to the letter. For the time being, set up an alpha Station ID and an alpha passphrase. You can always go into the wireless device via RJ-45 cable and change the Station ID or passphrase to something more difficult for the "War Drivers" to sniff out. In the beginning, just try something simple with the WPA or WPA2-PSK in order to get it up & running. HTH

Regards,

Albert

Reply to
Albert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.