Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network.

I have windows XP (PE) A Linksys wireless G notebook adaptor with SR. A new DLink wireless Router DIR-655.

I am able to connect to the internet using Linksys's wirless network monitor / configuration utility

However windows is giving me the message

"Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network MyNetwork"

I think this is because Windows itself isn't managing the connection, that linksys is. If I wanted to get rid of the linksys network monitor utility and just use the generic windows network connection properties, there doesn't seem to be an option for WPA only WEP. Surprise Surprise.. What am I doing wrong?

Reply to
SpreadTooThin
Loading thread data ...

SpreadTooThin hath wroth:

That's caused by improperly setting the encryption to WPA-RADIUS instead of WPA-PSK on the client. The router and the client are both trying to find a RADIUS server with which to authenticate. Since you don't have one, it complains using Microsoft technobabble. Change the encryption to WPA-PSK (pre-shared key) on both ends.

Incidentally, Google showed 25 hits for that exact error message, all of which supplied the correct answer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes and all say what you say... But! :) There is allways another but. The router is set to WPA-Personal with AES Encryption on both the router and the linksys connection monitor. Sooo... whatdaf...

Reply to
SpreadTooThin

SpreadTooThin hath wroth:

So much for the easy answer. I'm fairly sure the answer is somehow related to the PSK versus RADIUS issue.

Try setting it to WPA-PSK(personal) with just TKIP instead of both TKIP and AES. The ability of the client to automagically select between TKIP and AES is becoming a problem for me. I have some of my DD-WRT based systems setup to accept either TKIP or AES. It works with 99% of the clients and drivers, but I keep running into machines and broken drivers that cause it to fail. I switch to WPA-PSK-TKIP and everything works. No clue why.

Let's start with the basics. You mumbled that you have: A Linksys wireless G notebook adaptor with SR. A new DLink wireless Router DIR-655. What's the model number of the Linksys notebook adapter? Numbers please? Extra credit for version numbers.

Have you checked for the lastest firmware version for both the Linksys adapter, and the DLink router?

Looks like you're using Windoze Wireless Zero config as a connection manager. Try switching to the Linksys connection manager by unchecking "Let Windoze manage everything..." in the wireless connection settings (somewhere).

I'm a bit concerned about possible MIMO (pre-n) compatibility between the Dlink and the Linksys. However, I'm too lazy to decode the model number from the "SR", so I'll wait before I check the chipsets. Also, you can make it easy for me by posting both FCC ID numbers (from the serial number stickers).

How's your Windoze updates? MS issued WPA2 updates that fixed quite a few things.

It's kinda a pain trying to determine if you already have this installed. It probably doesn't hurt to install it again, but let's do the right thing and check first. Go to the bottom of the page and find the list of files and versions. Then, find the various network files in: c:\windows\system32\ Right click on the file, select: Properties -> Version -> Product version and compare version numbers (either directly below the "version" tab, or in the info box after selecting "product version".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

re: "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network ..."

After researching this all over, and eliminating the X501 authentication tab of wifi properties, windows wireless zero configuration (wzc) and various other suggestions, I saw some message pop up that referenced 2002 (it's now 2007). Unfortunately can't remember where.

I think the problem is that the time on the route / gateway was way wrong, and this was invalidating the certificate. So after some pain I was able to set the d-link DI-524 time correctly, and now WPA-PSK works correctly.

D-link gateway's mgmt web page 192.168.0.1 or whatever, Tools ->

Time.

You can just set it once, but you have to make sure the daylight savings time right. After the time's pretty close you can set it to use an internet time server to stay sync'd.

The only way I could find on the gateway to check the time it had was to do a "repair" on the network connection on the windows machine, and then look at the Tools -> Log page of the gateway's mgmt web page and see what time the resync was attempted.

Reply to
keith

Hi, I'm a techie neophyte running a Belkin N1 router with about 10 machines connected (XP desktop, a few xp laptops, and a bunch of mac laptops), mostly wirelessly. A couple days ago all of a sudden noone could see the network wirelessly. I called belkin today and they had me upgrade the firmware to a "beta" version. It had some problems but appears ok now. However, now my laptop has that "unable to find a certificate to log you on..." error message. But it still surfs just fine (is this normal?!?). The time on the router and laptop are within a few minutes of each other. They are both set to WPA-PSK (no server), and both using TKIP only. Is this something that I need to worry about? thanks for any insight you can give

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
alaskapete

Hi. I get this message too, an on XP laptop connecting wirelessly to a Belkin N1 router. I only started getting it today after a firmware upgrade to the router. The times are synchronized, and they are both set to WPA-PSK (no server), and TKIP. Suggestions? I'm NOT a techie person, just know enough to muddle things up occasionally.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
alaskapete

Maybe. It means that you've selected WPA-RADIUS or WPA-Enterprise, but don't have a functional RADIUS server to supply the necessary authentication. Switch to WPA-PSK or WPA-Personal, and it will go away.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hey, thanks for replying. Not to be rude, but if you read my post, I did say that they are both (router and laptop) set to "wpa-psk (no server)". That was one of the first things I checked when I saw this thread. And now the laptop is NOT able to surf or anything, just gives me the same message incessantly. Other laptops are using the same wireless network without that problem.

formatting link

Reply to
alaskapete

Sorry. I missed that. I only saw the WPA. Speed reading, sloppy, lazy, etc.

Well, something on this particular computer is trying to authenticate with an authentication server that it can't find. The problem is that I can't figure out which network setting might cause this behavior. Are you prehaps setup to try to login to a Windoze PDC (primary domain controller)? A Google search only returns pointers to 802.1x authentication, which should be set for WPA-PSK.

The only thing I can suggest is that your XP operating system is behind on updates. Try downloading and installing Belarc Advisor (free):

It's an inventory control program of PC hardware and installed software which should show which updates are installed. Look for some that are missing or have red marks that indicate they should be reinstalled.

There were also some wireless updates that made major changes to the how WZC works. See:

If you find a solution to this one, I would very much be interested in what fixed the problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.