use my wireless router as a client bridge.

Hi experts here,

I would like to use my wireless router as a client bridge with a topgraphy like that one:

formatting link

The secondary router (B) should NOT act as a wifi access point, just provide its wired RJ45 ports and the internet connectivity from its wireless connection to the primary router (A).

A and B are two different brands. (A) is set to IP 192.168.2.1 (factory), and provides DHCP from IP

192.168.2.100 to 199 with Mask 255.255.255.0. (B) was initally set to IP 192.168.2.1 as well, modified to IP 192.168.2.200 So all connected PCs (B) should be "seen" from the (A) a a single client 192.168.2.200 and (B) provide it's own DHCP 192.168.2.201 to 250.

Is that wise or is it better to leave (A) doing the DHCP for every connected system to (B)? In the second case, I should disable DHCP on B and provide a fixed IP for B 192.168.2.200.

My Router Firmware provide following options: 1) AP 2) Station-Infrastructure 3) AP bridge Point-to Point 4) AP bridge Point-to MultiPoint 5) AP Bridge WDS 6) Universal repeater.

Indeed only in the last case, I can enter the credentials for accessing (A) so I have cosen that option.

Without WLAN from (A) the clients connected to (B) get IP Address

192.168.2.201, 202 etc... with Gateway 192.168.2.200 and DNS 192.168.2.1.

A soon as the WLAN is accessible, the clients connected to (B) get IP Address 192.168.2.112, 113 etc... (tehy get their IP from the DHCP from (A) with Gateway 192.168.2.1 and DNS 192.168.2.1 they get internet connectivity.

What I however don't like, is that the WLAN from (B) is active and can be connected to (surely halving the bandwith).

Do anyone have a clue to prevent that? Thank you.

Laszlo

Reply to
Laszlo Lebrun
Loading thread data ...

Normally, this is where you'd tell us what they are, including make, model, hardware revision or version, firmware version, and anything else you think we need to know.

It's very rarely wise to have two DHCP servers on a network segment. Disable DHCP on (B).

Sounds like you need better firmware, or at least different firmware. Does your (B) router run dd-wrt or one of the other 3rd party firmwares?

A side effect of running two DHCP servers. Disable the one on (B).

That's because you selected repeater mode. Don't do that. If you were running dd-wrt, the desired mode would be Client Bridge, I believe.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.