Wireless router as Wireless NIC

Is it possible to set Wireless router to work as plain wireless network card? I have Linux on one PC, and it doesn't recognize my WLAN card. I would like to connect that Linux PC with UTP cable to one router and make that router work as wireless NIC. I tried WDS but it eats too much bandwidth.

Tnx

Reply to
joe
Loading thread data ...

It would depend on the router. I have a Buffalo WHR-G54S with DD-WRT third party firmware installed and it has a mode called

Client Bridged mode ? The radio interface is used to connect the LAN

side of the router to a remote access point. The LAN and the remote AP

will be in the same subnet (This is called a "bridge" between two

network segments). The WAN side of the router is unused and can

be disabled. Use this mode, e.g., to make the router act as a

"WLAN adapter" for a device connected to one of its LAN ethernet ports.

If your router has this mode then yes you can.

Danny,

Reply to
Danny Kile

My Canyon router has these modes:

AP AP bridge-point to point AP bridge-point to multi-point AP bridge-wds

Is this "AP bridge point to point" mode you're talking about?

I also have Asus WL500g but it looks that it needs some custom firmware that is complicated to use.

Reply to
joe

Not many WLAN cards are recognized by stock Linux distributions, but some are supported by downloadable drivers. I have recently liked various vendors' cards with Atheros chipsets on Redhat distributions.

What card do you have? Does it show up in lspci?

If you have a working wired NIC, you should be able to plug it into a Game Adapter.

Other than that, some routers have a client mode, but not many.

Reply to
dold

I have Canyon CN-WF511 card. It shows up as Ralink RT2561/RT61 card and uses RT61 driver by default (Xandros 4.0 Linux, based on Debian). It can find my network SSID but when I try to connect I get "Unable to determine interface to use" message. I'll try to install Xandros 4.1 these days.

I tried to make it work with ndiswrapper but with no luck, because drivers don't have .inf file.

Reply to
joe

On Tue, 8 May 2007 15:19:18 +0200, "joe" wrote in :

No. You need it to be a _client_ (not a host).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.