USB ADSL Modem & Linksys wireless router

Hi,

I have a USB ADSL modem. I recently bought Linksys wireless-g router. Since linksys has only ethernet port, I am looking forward to suggestions to connect them. I ruled out USB-Ethernet converter since the USB connected to ADSL modem appears to be type B port. Please let me know what I need to do.

Thanks

Reply to
ss
Loading thread data ...

On 9 Nov 2006 18:07:54 -0800, "ss" wrote in :

No can do. You need a router with a USB port, and those are few and far between. Ask your DSL provider for a replacement Ethernet modem.

Reply to
John Navas

First choice would be to demand a 'real' modem with rj45 connector.

If that is not possible, next choice would be to get a used computer, anything that is new enough to support usb, and make yourself a linux router (very easy to do) plug the linux NIC into the wireless router and away you go. I can give you the instructions if you want to pursue that rout.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have a quick questi> news: snipped-for-privacy@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
ss

On 10 Nov 2006 17:38:09 -0800, "ss" wrote in :

Again, no can do.

Reply to
John Navas

No...they go in the other direction.

If you Google for "ethernet to USB" all you will find are adapters the plug into a USB port of a laptop and present an ethernet port for you to patch into your network. Those adapters are USB "clients" that need a "server" (your laptop).

What you are asking for is an adapter that emulates your laptop's USB port that you can plug your DSL modem into.

Basicaly this is what a print server does. You connect an USB printer into one end and an ethernet cable in the other end.

BUT....it only works for printers - at least the few print servers that I have tried. I suspect they have a USB engine embedded with pre-loaded printer drivers. It would be cool if you could connect a USB web cam.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.