Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem

Hello,

A friend of mine recently had a cable modem installed in his flat. Unfortunately, the modem doesn't allow wireless access which he would like.

I'm thinking it would be possible to get a wireless access point connected to this modem to extend internet access availability. Is this possible?

Also, looking at the sockets on the cable modem, there seem only to be two places where data cables will fit: one ethernet socket, and one USB socket (the USB socket is one of those hexagonal types that looks like a rectangle with two of the top corners cut away). Would I be able to get a USB WAP which would connect to this USB port? I ask, because my friend would like to keep the ethernet port open for a wired connection.

Thanks,

Epetruk

Reply to
Epetruk
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:33:37 -0800, "Epetruk" wrote in :

Yes. But only for a single computer unless the cable modem has a built-in router; otherwise, for more than one computer you need a wireless router.

No need for that (which would be hard to find at best) -- the wireless access point or router will have multiple Ethernet ports.

Reply to
John Navas

Hello John,

I have a D-Link ADSL modem which also has wireless router functionality. I tried to get this to work with the cable modem by doing the following:

- Unplugged the cable modem from the mains

- Plugged the ADSL modem/router to the mains

- Connected the cable modem to the ADSL modem/router with an ethernet cable

- Plugged the cable modem back into the mains

- Connected the ADSL modem/router to my laptop with another ethernet cable

- Tried to configure the ADSL modem/router by typing a 192.168.1.1 (this is the IP for the D-Link modems), but I couldn't find it. This is strange, because I with this setup, I had internet access, and I could also see the configuration panel of the cable modem when I typed in the correct

192.168.*.* address.

Was I doing something wrong? Am I not supposed to be able to connect an ADSL modem/wireless router to a cable modem? Is there another way of accessing the control panel of the ADSL modem/router?

Thanks,

Epetruk

Reply to
Epetruk

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:07:10 -0800, "Epetruk" wrote in :

When you don't tell us diddlysquat about what gear you have and what you're trying to do it's very hard to help you.

Then all you need is a wireless access point or wireless router configured as an access point.

Why the hell are you trying to use an ADSL modem/router?

Actually not, because you can only connect if your laptop port is configured properly on the same subnet.

Presumably on ADSL service, but that's totally different.

Lots of things, including withholding important details.

It has to be configured properly.

You'd have less grief is you just got a proper wireless access point.

Reply to
John Navas

In your first reply to me, you did not indicate exactly what extra information you wanted to know, so I don't understand why you're upset.

In any case, the cable modem is a Motorola SurfBoard type; it does not have wireless functionality, and my friend would like to be able to connect to the internet using both an ethernet cable *and* a wireless connection at the same time. I tried a D-Link ADSL modem which also combined routing and wireless acceess functionality, because I happened to have a spare one lying around. I thought that since it had wireless and routing functionality, it just might work. But if it is not a good choice, then I can tell my friend to buy a proper wireless router. I just need to know that configuring a wireless router won't be problematic.

If there is any other information you need to know, please let me know; I will be happy to provide it.

Reply to
Epetruk

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:12:25 -0800, "Epetruk" wrote in :

I'm not upset. I'm just telling you why I can't give a good quick answer to your question.

Does it not have a model number? Any other reason not to tell us?

You mean both wired and wireless connection to the cable modem?

That's an ADSL router, not an Ethernet or cable router. It thus can only be used as a router on ADSL, not Ethernet or cable. Why would you think otherwise? Just hoping?

OK, just hoping.

Your friend doesn't have ADSL, so it's definitely not a good choice. Here's why, diagram of an ADSL Wireless Router:

+-------------+----------------+ | | | | +-----+----+ | | |ADSL Modem| | | +-----+----+ | | | | | +------+------+ | | |Router & DHCP| | | +--+----------+ | | | | | +-------+--+ +------------+ | | | Switch +--+ Wireless | | | +-+-+-+-+--+ |Access Point| | | | | | | +------------+ | +---+-+-+-+--------------------+

Do you see now why the Router section can't be used for cable? You have to go through the router section to use it, and it only connects through to the ADSL Modem section.

There are no guarantees, especially when you don't specify brand and model.

You need a regular wireless router (as I said back at the beginning), not an ADSL wireless router, an wired Ethernet wireless router.

Reply to
John Navas

Hello again, John.

Thanks for your diagram which clearly explains why the ADSL modem/router/AP won't work.

The specific model of the cable modem is the Motorola SurfBoard SB5101; can you recommend a specific wireless router to use?

Reply to
Epetruk

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:23:33 -0800, "Epetruk" wrote in :

Suggest getting one of the better units on this list:

My favorite vendor Buffalo is currently barred from the US market. Suggest Asus instead.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.