upgrade questions

I'm considering upgrading my router/wireless components. I've got high-speed cable and two computers, one is a desktop and one is a laptop without internal wireless. Currently I'm running the laptop with a Linksys Instant wireless PCI Card (Version 3) and a Linksys BEFW11S4 Router. It is 2.4GHz and 802.11b. I've also using Vonage and once in awhile I have to reset the router, etc. for some reason. Not a huge deal but a bit of a pain. My main issue is that inside my own house (2400 sq. ft so it's not overly huge) I get very low signal strength on my laptop. I find that odd since my neighbors say they can see my network sometimes as much as 100 yards away. I'm wondering if I upgrade to a "g" router will I get much better reception and speed. The speed is not much of an issue right now but the signal strength is. Also, if I do upgrade the router will I have to upgrade the PCI card as well. If so any suggestions on the router and card or general setup? thanks, Drew

Reply to
DP
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:23:31 -0400, "DP" wrote in :

Probably not, unless you go completely NIMO.

All you might need is a better antenna -- see wikis below.

To get better range, go with a better antenna, or with NIMO on both ends.

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
dennis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.