Upgrade A7A266 -> A7N8X-E: WOW no longer loads

Paul, try it again with Ethernet, the CAT5 RJ45 kind and see if that works.

I have had problems with WiFi and WoW before and large traffic can take my char offline and sometimes take down the network. This is especially true in large cities and turning in some quests.

I suspect it has something to do with burst data and the subsequent packet loss or out of order packets. This is all theory as I've never really resolved my problem short of using Ethernet instead.

Reply to
Caeryn Dryad of Whisperwind
Loading thread data ...

Hopefully your reply was "Why aren't you into threesomes like the women I'm used to seeing?"

Reply to
Caeryn Dryad of Whisperwind

I performed a motherboard upgrade from an A7A266 to a A7N8X-E Deluxe (other specs: 2600+ Athlon, 1GB RAM, Audigy 1 sound), doing an XP repair install as recommended. Everything works fine, except for World of Warcraft.

I connect using a Linksys WRT54G v1.0 router and a WMP54G PCI wireless card. This gave no problems before. However, although I'm able to run WOW, log in, and select a character, once the game subsequently loads (that is, the blue loading bar goes to 100% after character selection), the game freezes for a few moments and then disconnects. Sometimes, my network connection even goes down.

I've tried the following:

• uninstalling the PCI card, physically removing it, clearing the registry, re-installing it, then physically re-adding it
  • updating my router firmware to the latest version (August 2005)

(I don't think it's a router problem though, since I can connect from a wireless laptop with a non-Linksys card fine.)

Anyway, if anyone else has seen a similar problem and has any solutions, let me know. I guess I'm going to probably have to perform an XP re-installation, but I'd like to try everything else before I do something that drastic.

P.

Reply to
Paul Moloney

Uhm ... I see you posted this today. Was this a problem for you last night? They were having significant login problems. Many servers were down as well. Perhaps your problems have nothing to do with the hardware upgrade that you performed.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

I was kinda hoping that, but as mentioned, I could log in from my laptop fine (same router).

Reply to
Paul Moloney

Changing something as major as a motherboard generally also required an OS re-install. Ok you can attempt it and get so far, but then as you've found out wierd and wonderful things start to happen.

After one or two weeks of struggling to get it right, it never quite seems happy about it so you eventually decide to re-install your OS.

Now having been there and done that repeatedly (as I don't learn fast) I'd suggest you cut to the chase and re-install your OS saving yourself a lot of time and effort :-)

Reply to
Rich K

*sigh* I knew it seemed too good to be true. I did get a few tips from Linksys that I'll check out before I do it though. Installing the OS isn't that much of a pain; it's just reinstalling the apps that annoys me.

P.

Reply to
Paul Moloney

I think that after a repair install, you will have to re-install SP2 (unless you did the repair using a slipstreamed XP/SP2 CD) and will need to visit windows update to re-apply all of the XP patches. If you haven't done this, it may be worth a try before you do a re-install from scratch. I have a system that's had 3 motherboards (1st an Intel BX based one with an Intel PII/400, then a Jetway V266 (Athlon XP1500) and finally an A7N8X deluxe v2 running an XP3200+) and has also been upgraded from 98SE through w2k and now XP during the same period. It works just fine and I see no difference between it and an identical a7n8x del v2/xp3200 which had XP installed from scratch (I was so impressed with the 1st one, that I bought another and built a 2nd machine.) I think what I'm saying is that a repair install done properly won't necessarily f*ck-up windows. HTH

Reply to
Rob Hemmings

Actually yes, I did it from a slipstreamed one I made. But I'm not sure if all updated have been applied; I'll check that also.

Cheers,

P.

Reply to
Paul Moloney

I will indeed try it.. unfortunately it's not a long-term solution, since my router has to be in a seperate room to my PC. And long-term partners don't take kindly to Ethernet cables trailing across the flat(*). :)

(*) Comment from her as I was sitting with a laptop by the router at 12 last night upgrading the firmware: "Why can't you be into sports like normal men?".

Reply to
Paul Moloney

Windows XP Firewall get enabled when you did repair install maybe? now it's blocking some ports WOW needs?

Dave

Reply to
Sloth

She would invite home another guy!

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Windows XP Firewall will not bother WOW at all as far as playing goes [patching is another story], when in its default configuration.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Just to note in the end I had to fix this by doing a complete reinstall. The repair install obviously left some kind of conflict.

P.

Reply to
oceanclub

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.