losing wireless connection (updated again)

This is in reference to the problem I originally posted on 6/22...

At any rate I did call the telco (isp provider) and informed him I put the dlink router into bridge mode and had no problems. btw... running in this configuration the isp provides the ip addresses for all systems on the lan... He became a little uneasy then wanted to know how many systems we had on our lan which is a fair questions since he did not want exhaust his address pool (probably not very likely but gotta look towards the future)

At any rate there are probably two possible solutions if he pursues us to go back to router mode.

1. Get a static ip from the telco. He informed me he has another customer using this configuration leaving the router in router mode with no loss of connection.. The telco does charge 10.00 more a month for static ip. I'm thinking the dropping of connection may be caused by the periodic ip address renew on the wan side.

1. Using direct connect to one pc having two nics then running internet connection sharing. I could just run the second nic to the router's wan port and set up the second nic and wan side of the router to static ip. I haven't done this before but am thinking that should work (after all that's why we have us all here right?)

comments?

Thanks much

Dennis

Reply to
dennis
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:30:42 -0700, "dennis" wrote in :

Have no idea what that is.

Not a real problem if he's handing out private IP addresses. If he's handing out public address, then you should be able to use router instead of bridge mode.

Renewal of a temporary address should be transparent.

Yuk.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.