Level one Directional Antenna recomendations?

I want to bring my wireless Nic's antenna out from behind my computer case and I thought about trying the Level One WAN-1160 since it can be gotten for less than $20. My signal strength is around -44 dBm on Network stumbler and I don't really have many problems but I do get occasional disconnects. Does this antenna seem ok or would going with an cabled omni directional be the better choice.

formatting link

My setup:

WRT54GL (thibor 15c) router downstairs communicating with a Gigabyte wireless Nic upstairs approx 30% angle at 40-50 ft with signal going through just wooden floor.

Reply to
ahh
Loading thread data ...

Your WRT54G has a RP-TNC connector so the WAN-1160 cable won't fit.

Check these pages

formatting link

Reply to
Curly Bill

I'm connecting the antenna to the Gigabyte nic adapter located on the back side of the computer. Its current antenna is a reversed SMA and the Level One antenna says it has a SMA connector. Will it fit?

The point of this project was I was thinking having the antenna behind the computer could cause occasional interference so I would put a cabled antenna on it to improve on this.

Reply to
ahh

No

Reply to
Curly Bill

Thanks,

Your site is helpful. Will consider that 5dBi indoor omni directional you have. Turns out the the Level one has a RP-SMA connector included.

Reply to
ahh

Remember that the stock antennas have a radiation pattern shaped like a donut. You probably want the antennas broadside to each other, maybe like a parallelogram. Except if you are trying to go through a floor, a bounce to a stairwell might be better... hard to say.

One of the directional aftermarket antennas would probably help, or maybe a simple reflector. If it's working some of the time now, a free reflector might be all the improvement you need.

formatting link
EZ-12, Windsurfer reflector. printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.