WRT54G to wired network?

I am new to wireless and could use some advice.

I have a wired network which consists of a linux server (router) connected to my DSL modem (via eth0) This linux machine has a second NIC that connects to a hub where my other wired machines get connected (via eth1) 192.168.0.0/24

My hub has one open port. I would like to know if it is possible to connect my WRT54G to this open port so I can use my wireless laptop through the existing setup.

I have fiddled with it quite a bit but have had no luck so far.

Reply to
paul
Loading thread data ...

I have no experiance with hub's just routers but I can't see why this setup wouldn't work. Just connect your WRT54 to the hub, fire up your laptop and access the webinterface to see what must configured.

Reply to
Edmund

Run the wire from the 2nd NIC on the linux box into a wired port on the router. Use one of the 4 LAN ports, NOT the WAN port. Then run a cross-over cable from another one of the switch ports to the existing hub. Try whatever cable you've got first and it might not require a crossover cable. Then configure the WRT54G to act as an "access point" and turn off DHCP. This way the WRT54 will simply act as a way for wireless devices to connect into the existing subnet as peers on that network.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Hi Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! This is exactly the type of info I was hoping for! Have a great day!

Paul D

Reply to
paul

Offhand, I would say connect the WRT54G to the laptop and set it's starting address so it it on the same subnet (try 192.168.0.50 - the wireless part starts at 192.168.1.100 - change that to the same subnet 192.168.0.100).. Then you should be able to put it on the hub AFTER you have changed it's starting ip address.. You could mess with static ip's, but I'd make it simple and just use non conflicting ones... One caveat, if the linux server that you call just a router is actually a dhcp server, then you have to turn that function off on the linksys (doubful that it is, but there is a remote possibility)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks Peter! All this info is a BIG help!

Reply to
paul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.