Secure wirless router without being connected to PC, how?

There is one way, Get a Wireless router with an internal firewall, use WPA for access from the wireless side and use packet filtering for access from the wireless side also.

This ain't great, but it 's a start. You can get wireless routers with decent firewall protection but your going to pay a 'little' more than the normal $50-100 for them. You need a business class router or enterprise router for a real good solution.

hope this helps,

Bob

Robert Smith Consulting Wired & Wireless Networks for Home, Business & Enterprise

Reply to
Bob Smith
Loading thread data ...

If your question is about changing router settings then yes, it is much safer to do it through wired connection.

Reply to
Eugene F.

Don't ask why, it is a long story. I have my dsl modem and dlink router in one room with no computer. The internet works fine. My laptop connects fine wireless. Now my desktop is in another room and it connects with a linksys wirless usb adapter no problem.

All these connections are unsecured. Is there a way to secure the wirless connection without having a computer connected to the modem and router directly?

Reply to
Go Tyler

I guess this is impossible. I suppose I could connect my laptop to it and set it up to be secure.

Reply to
Go Tyler

I got the wep set up and working.

Reply to
Go Tyler

???????????????????????

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

WEP is better than nothing. If your router supports WPA, go for it as it's much more difficult to crack. A decent hacker could penetrate your WEP network in a few minutes. If you're really concerned about security, use MAC address filtering as well as WPA, turn off DHCP and assign IP addresses manually to each of your computers. Also be sure to change the password on your router and use a SSID other than the default.

Reply to
Alan White

Turn on it's encryption.

http://192.168.0.1

Reply to
Eric

MAC filtering just requires a momentary sniff to defeat, turning off DHCP is pointless because if the hacker has cracked WPA (unlikely) then sniffing a packet to pick up the IP address range in use isn't going to present a difficulty. Kismet already does this for you anyway.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.