Problems with my WRT54G v6 running dd-wrt

Hey all, I'm looking for some help with my completely FUBAR router...

Well I decided to install dd-wrt on my Linksys WRT54G v6 router so I could see what machines were connected to my network. It did a lot of cool things but it was also a complete bitch to set up. Recently, I changed a single setting and I'm no longer able to access the router in any way: ping, tftp, telnet. Neither my Windows machine nor MacBook Pro can recognize that it even exists. All of the Ethernet status lights, Internet status light and Power status light are solid green. The Power light will blink for a bit when I powercycle.

I've tried...

- Holding the reset button while powercycling it

- Attempting to access it via ping, tftp and telnet.

Is there anything else I could do short of buying a new router to get my wireless network back? Right now, I'm connected directly into my cable modem. I know it can't possibly be bricked, because from what I know, a bricked Linksys router won't stop flashing the power light.

Thanks in advance, Tom

Reply to
Tom Scott
Loading thread data ...

"Tom Scott" hath wroth:

Start a continuous ping to 192.168.1.1 and power cycle the WRT54G. If you get a few pings for the first few seconds, then it stops, you have a chance to use TFTP to recover the flash. |

formatting link
has worked for me several times. Incidentally, the usual screwup is to not wait long enough after it says it's done, and before you hit the "continue" button. Just wait for about 5 min after flashing and you should be fine.

Otherwise, you could build or buy a JTAG port interface and try: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Did you change it from the default 192.168.1.0 subnet? If so, did you also change your PC's IP address to a different subnet?

Try what Jeff said about constant pinging during a reboot. But make sure your PC is also on the same 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 subnet. Just set it up with a static address (not DHCP) for the purpose of resurrecting this router. You'd need to do this anyway for TFTP reloading. If that doesn't work then you might want to ask in the dd-wrt forums on

formatting link

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.