wrt54g v6 bad flash

hi,

i recently tried getting my wrt54g v6 router to run with the dd-wrt firmware but i had some problem during the flash, and now my router is bricked and power light just keeps flashing when turned on. i looked at a couple guides, and i can ping the router OK. when i try to tftp a new firmware to the router it succeeds but the power light keeps blinking and nothing seems to have changed (firmware from linksys, , connection set to 10T half, and on static IP),. anybody seen this or have any suggestions? im also thinking about trying the void-main guide but cant seem to find a good pin mapping for v6 chips.

thanks, tal

Reply to
taldanino
Loading thread data ...

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" hath wroth:

If you can ping it, you can recover. This is good.

Egads, no. TFTP has always worked for me. The only trick is knowing exactly when to hit the key to start the TFTP client. You have to wait 2-3 seconds after turning on the power to the router.

There is one big difference with the V5 and V5 mutations. They run VxWorks and not Linux. They can be reflashed with Linux, but you need to run vx_works_prep first. I suggest you try again with DD-WRT and wait 5 min (to be safe) at the end (don't reboot router immediately after upload is done). See v5 and v6 specific instructions at:

Also:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

thanks for the response jeff. after I tftp the prep file or dd-wrt bin the transfer says successful on the dos prompt. that means the timing was okay right? i still wont be able to access the 192.168.1.1 interface for some reason and it still keeps blinking. is there any way to restore it to the factory setting bin so I could start over again? thanks tal

Reply to
taldanino

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" hath wroth:

I have no idea. You could TFTP garbage into the router and it will say it's ok. If you expect help, methinks it would be helpful if you would disclose what you're doing and how you're doing it. Just because it says "success" doesn't mean you've done it right. Did you follow the proceedure below or some other proceedure? If other, which one?

Note that there are *TWO* prep files. You mention only one. vxworks_prep_v03.bin vxworks_killer_g_v06.bin Did you first uncompress the ZIP files to bin files, or did you try to upload the compressed ZIP file? Did you upload both files?

Can you ping it? On just one WRT54G, I had to punch the reset button and power cycle the router before it would cooperate. I'm not sure why as this is not part of the usual instructions.

Did you actually read the above URL? About half way down the page, in large bold letters that are difficult to miss is: "How to revert back to the original Vxworks based Linksys firmware"

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There are two ways to reset the Router's factory defaults. Either press the Reset Button, for approximately five seconds, or restore the defaults from the Administration tab

- Factory Defaults in the Router's Web-based Utility.

The Reset button is to the left of the Internet Connection on the back. You need something like a paperclip to press it.

It's in the User Guide. Download the pdf file here:

Reply to
Unk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.