Problems with Linksys WRT54G router

This router is the most stubborn piece of shit I have ever seen in my life. To start with, it doesn't seem like it recognizes the dhcp on my ISP. Either that, or my computer doesn't seem to be recognizing the dns addresses my router uses, even though it has "dhcp server" set to on. Third, when my laptop tries to connect to it, it displays it, opens the dialog box to connect, and the box closes like it's supposed to, without an error. But then, on the "Network Connections" or whatever on it, it says "Not connected" next to the router's name--and the only button is to "Disconnect!" However, before that started happening my laptop did connect, and it actually said "Connected." But then, the only site it would go on were pages on Google! I mean, I could go to google.com, type in a search, press "Google Search" and it worked, but when I clicked on a link off of Google or just typed it in in the address bar, the page didn't load. I turned the laptop off and the next time I came back, the "Not connected" thing happened, and that's what's been happening ever since.

Reply to
Pickleman
Loading thread data ...

What version router (a s/n sticker on the base will have a s/n starting CD or CG - see here for your version:

formatting link
)

You don't say if the setup works via a CAT5 cable - always get your router working wired first, then go wireless. You don't say if you have encryption enabled (WEP or WPA). Do you? Does it work without encryption? Are you entering the correct key?

WRT54Gs tend to be among the most reliable and easy-to-use routers, according to the posts on this forum...

Reply to
__spc__

"Pickleman" hath wroth:

Let's take these one at a time:

Hmmm... I have three of my own. Most of the local coffee shops use WRT54G routers (with alternative firmware). Two of the local hot spot installers use nothing but WRT54G routers. Sales figures show that the WRT54G (mixed in with similar Linksys mutations) is a best seller. However, you're entitled to an opinion.

Could I trouble you for the hardware version number V1 -> V5 and the firmware version (upper right corner of the initial setup screen)?

DHCP from your ISP would be on the WAN side. I'll assume that you're

*NOT* trying to configure this with a wireless connection. That always causes problems, especially after a router restart. It has nothing to do with DNS because DNS does not work until AFTER you get an IP address from the ISP. What does the status page show? Does it show valid IP addresses (including DNS) from the ISP? If so, that part is working.

Also, your computer does not recognize the router using DNS (although it can be setup to do so). If you use: http://192.168.1.1 can you see the setup pages? If so, DHCP is working. We can tinker with DNS after you determine if your problem is on the WAN side DHCP client, or the LAN side DHCP server.

What happended to problem number two?

It takes two to tango. Sounds more like a client side problem. First, I suggest you get it working with a wired connection and ignore the wireless features for now. Third, after the wired version is working, setup the wireless. It will be helpful if you would disclose some information on what you're using as a wireless computer and client. I don't recall any software that has boxes popping up and down for connections, so could you kindly supply what program is displaying the boxes?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Don't get me wrong--I don't hate WRT54G routers. Before I got this one, I had another one that was also a WRT54G. But it stopped working (I don't know why) after a very long time that it worked perfectly for. So I bought this one instead, and now it doesn't work. They were both exactly the same model. The "program" that displays the boxes is Windows XP. It has a Network Connections panel that handles all connections, and when it opens up a wireless one sometimes a little dialog box comes up with a progress bar, that just says "Connecting...". It doesn't stay on the screen all the time when I'm connected. And, no I'm not using any encryption at all.

And, I did try to get it working with a wired connection. The only-connected-to-Google problem happened on our main computer, then also on my laptop when I connected it wirelessly, before the Windows XP "Not Connected" problem. But if I tried to use the wired connection again, I'll bet you the Google bug will start up again.

Reply to
Pickleman

I think I might have figured out what's wrong. I don't know if I entered the correct host name and domain name for the wireless setup. That still doesn't explain how I got access to pages on Google, but I sent a message to RoadRunner asking for help.

Reply to
Pickleman

How do you get to the initial setup screen?

What does the status page show?

How do you get to the status page?

XP Pro Linksys Router?WRT54G, Linksys Adapter?WUSB54G

Three weeks ago today a tech person (young college student) came to my home to switch my regular Linksys router to a wireless one ($101). Each day Linksys said: "Access violation at address 004075E5 in module "WUSB54Gv4.exe: Read of address 00000368" After hours on the phone with Linksys, Gateway, Comcast plus another $100 remote assistance from same tech person, neither my wireless NOR now my network (desktop/laptop) is working properly. The tech person downloaded the latest firmware and drivers.

I am connected directly to the computer right now. It seems as if when the wireless is connected, the 1394 (?) connection and Local Area Connection are not connected, and vice versa. These connections seem to connect and disconnect at random. I don't know where or how to begin to straighten it out.

Reply to
MOB

"Pickleman" hath wroth:

I've seen *THREE* WRT54G routers that act dead (no light) that have exactly the same problem. Someone plugged in the wrong wall wart (power adapter) or got the wall wart polarity wired backwards. The first two were the result of me telling the customer to power cycle the router and DSL modem. Instead of removing the power connector one box at a time, they unplugged the power to both the router and modem. What are the odds that they would plug the wrong power supply into the router? With my customers, it's about 100%. The DSL modem survived, but the WRT54G didn't. The 3rd one was blown when I was playing with PoE (power over ethernet) and got the power wires reversed (oops).

Since all the aformentioned were deemed to be my fault, I decided to try and fix the problem. Power supply issues are usually quite easy. In this case, there was a large surface mount diode across the power input that is intended to protect against reverse power problems. However, due to the lack of a series connected fuse, the diode protects the rest of the router by shorting out. I replaced the diode with whatever I had laying around, which fixed the problem in all three boxes.

I'll bet you three shorted and dead diodes that they're NOT exactly the same. There are a bunch of different hardware version of the WRT54G. The latest, version 5, sucks and has some nasty bugs. Look on the serial number tag on the bottom of the router and kindly disclose the hardware version.

XP is an operating system, not a program. You have a wireless card or device of some sorts in your wireless computer. What is it?

That sounds like any one of a dozen "client manager" programs designed to handle wireless connectivity. It certainly doesn't sound like XP SP2 Windoze Wireless Zero Config. Does it have an associated wireless utility program that you can use to "discover" your access point? If you can "see" your WRT54G, you should be able to connect to it. Leave encryption off until you get a connection.

That's normal. The Google web page was in the browser cache. If it can't download a fresh copy of the page, it just displays what's in the cache. You could have zero connectivity and Google will still show up. Try hitting "Google News" tab, which is refreshed every 15 minutes. That should have expired in the cache.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The serial number is 6002-81414251.

I knew that already. And the "Wireless Connections" panel that was displaying the messages definitely came with XP, because it was in the Control Panel and it was already installed with my laptop.

Also, when I was at the local Starbucks with my laptop, the same thing happened, where Wireless Connections said "Not connected" next to the network name, but there was only a "Disconnect" button at the bottom. When I opened up my browser, it went to the router page, where I signed up for the free day pass or whatever it is, and I got on the Internet just fine. But at home, it's not like I need to go on one of those router access points to order a day pass. At least, I didn't with the old Linksys router.

Reply to
Pickleman

Bottom of the WRT54G router, not the computer. I'm trying to determine the hardware version of the router.

Depending on the maker of your laptop, there might be some software running on top of Wireless Zero Config. IBM has something (name forgotten). Toshiba has Config-Free. I'm trying to determine which program is complaining.

Were you able to stay connected for an extended period? If so, then the problem is mostly likely not your unspecified model laptop.

Sorry, I can't help you with this problem. There's probably something wrong with either the WRT54G configuration or firmware version.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

ThinkVantage Access Connections

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.