First time DD-WRT v23 flash

Hi,

Please could someone who's recently flashed their unit just check that I'm going about flashing my Linksys WRT54G (v2.0) with DD-WRT v23 (25-12-05) in the correct way. (My router currently has the latest Linksys firmware

4.20.7 installed.)

From the DD-WRT WWW site, I navigated to Downloads, then clicked on the 'dd-wrt.v23' link. The hwsupport.txt link says: "...for upgrading from original linksys firmware, please use the generic mini version and flash it from web interface."

Entering the 'mini' directory, I downloaded the dd-wrt.v23_mini_generic.bin file - is this the one I need first of all? To be flashed afterwards with the dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin file in the 'standard' directory?

Many thanks for any help - I'm a little paranoid about bricking my unit...

Reply to
__spc__
Loading thread data ...

If you have version 2 hardware, you don't need to flash the mini first. Only version 4 (and WRT54GL) people need to do that. For flashing from the UI, use the generic versions.

Hold the reset button down for at least 30 seconds before and after loading the firmware, to clear the NVRAM settings, which aren't the same for both firmware.

By the way, they are now on the second beta for v.23 SP1 . You may want to try those or wait for that to be stable.. I'm currently using the Jan 16 beta of SP1, which fixes the issues I was having...

Take a look at the changes listed after "v-23 final"

formatting link
You may also want to look at the bugtracker and forums to see if there are any showstoppers for you:
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
danr_18

[snip]

Thanks for that.

I still need the generic first, THEN the WRT54G .BIN?

Reply to
__spc__

Has it fixed the dhcpd with Windows clients or were you not having that problem?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

"__spc__" hath wroth:

The WRT54G v2.0 does not require first loading the mini version of the firmware. Please read the instructions: |

formatting link
follow them exactly which includes resetting your router to defaults.

Nope. Not needed for WRT54G v2.0.

Nope. Not needed for WRT54G v2.0.

You will probably want the v23 SP1 01/06/06 version as the 12/25/05 version has a few "issues" (i.e. DHCP and PPTP screwed up). |

formatting link

I've bricked two routers in the same way. Where the instructions say to *WAIT* after doing the flash for at least 2 minutes, try about 5 minutes. That means do absolutely NOTHING to the computer or router during this time. That includes *NOT* hitting the continue button on the screen. Just go away, get some coffee, do something else, don't play with the router, don't get impatient, and wait 5 min. Then hit continue. If you get rushed, you get a brick. Recovery is not all that difficult but was somewhat of a PITA as I was in a hurry to get things running both times.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
and follow them exactly which includes resetting your router to

formatting link

[snip]

Great advice, thanks - I'm going to buy a v1 off eBay and get this and my existing v2 working with WDS,using DD-WRT. Thanks again.

Reply to
__spc__

You may want to check locally.. I just picked up one at walmart of all places for $54... Apparantly they bought a bunch of older ones so they could sell em cheap...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks Jeff, DD-WRT flashed nicely to router 1; will do no. 2 tomorrow and set up WDS. Thanks again.

Reply to
__spc__

Successfully flashed a v1 WRT54G (actually, WRT54G-UK) with DD-WRT and after about an hour of configuring this one alongside my v2, got WDS up and running across my property.

I am a very contented little camper indeed!

Reply to
__spc__

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.