Problem with my netgear router

I just got a new laptop today. I has a built in wireless card and shows my netgear router but will not connect to it any hints on what to do?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
wells14
Loading thread data ...

wells14 hath wroth:

Nope. No hints, clues, or answers. You didn't bother supplying any maker, model numbers, versions, operating systems, or error messages. My crystal ball is fairly good at guesswork, but not that good. Try again, this time with numbers. Maybe calling Netgear and drive them nuts instead of me.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So as I understand it, your new Dell Inspire, err...Disapointment can't connect to your ten year old Netgear that got hit by lightning a few times.

Reply to
DTC

You experts won't reveal the secret thing you click on that instantly fixes every problem and just want to make a big deal about nothing...

Reply to
George

George hath wroth:

The secret is that real experts don't use a mouse to click on things. They use the command line from the shell (DOS) prompt. There's only so much that can be done with a mouse, while the command line is all powerful.

There are also a variety of verbal incantations that assist in the resurrection of the system. However, this is a family newsgroup, so you don't get those.

As for making a big deal about nothing, that's true. If you read this and other newsgroups, you'll notice that the more trivial the topic, such as this one, the more people are involved in the discussion. Meanwhile, the really important questions, are often ignored. It doesn't really take an expert to expand and expound on nothing.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Your *ARE* saying that "tongue-in-cheek" I hope.

If not, here are some generalizations:

The ease that problems appear to be fixed is proportional to the skill of the person doing the fixing.

99% of "fixing a problem" is finding out what is wrong and the actual fix is often very easy.

Fixing some problems is often beyond the "double click on the icon" skill set.

The cost of a piece of test equipment is indirectly proportion to skill set of the person that needs it.

The OP said, "I just got a new laptop today. I has a built in wireless card and shows my netgear router but will not connect to it any hints on what to do?"

Now how can you possible answer a question like that???

RTFM comes to mind.

Reply to
DTC

Good answer jeff,

One of these days the newbies are going to give a little better info going in instead of the normal, my notebook dont' work,, what the matter with it ,, OR ME,,,

His question is the real reason the tech support went overseas,,

ask a stupid question, get a stupid person to answer it, get nothing done

merry xmas

Bob Smith Robert Smith Consulting NA6T

Reply to
Bob Smith

Absolutely, it annoys me to no end that people think there is just some magical thing you click to make things all better.

Reply to
George

It was a cynical comment.

Reply to
George

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.