Problem with D-Link DSLG604T

Wireless network was fine yesterday evening but now it has decided to stop working. In short, none of the network adapters in two desktops (USB) and one laptop (PCMCIA) can locate the network. If I search I get the "no wireless networks in range" message in XP. A power cycle doesn't seem to have any effect.

If I plug in an ethernet cable I can get online without any problems.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to if/how I can resolve this?

TIA

Reply to
Cheeky
Loading thread data ...

Follow up:

It seems that this is an intermittent fault.

Reply to
Cheeky
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Sounds like interference. See the FAQ below.

Reply to
John Navas

Here are the two links that after you go the FAQ, drill down and go through it, simply point you to other people's web pages on interference:

formatting link
from 2002

formatting link
from 2004

Reply to
riggor99999

Thanks to you both. It seems a likely explanation as the problem appears to have "resolved" itself. Strange how it manifested itself now, though - I've changed nothing in the house overnight which may have caused it...

Reply to
Cheeky

Could be a nearby neighbor.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for the suggestion - you may well be right. The maddening thing was that the AP was picking up two other networks but mine! one of my computers has also logged on to a neighbouring (unsecured) network in the past as well. Didn't realise until I tried to log in to it across the network...

Reply to
Cheeky

Try setting the wireless access point to a different non-overlapping channel (1, 6, or 11), ideally the one that has the least interference from your neighbors or other sources. Also be sure to set a unique SSID in your wireless access point, delete any other SSIDs from your client computers, and make sure that auto connect to unsecured networks is turned off.

Reply to
John Navas

John,

Many thanks for the helpful hints. I've already got a unique SSID but will also try the other things you suggest.

For the record, I've not had any further repetitions of the problem since when I posted last weekend.

Regards, Cheeky

Reply to
Cheeky

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.