Which Wireless Desktop Card?

I just bought a Linksys WRT600N... Its a dual frequency wireless router. To use the 5GHz channel what wireless card should I be installing in my PC?

Reply to
SpreadTooThin
Loading thread data ...

shameless bump!

Reply to
SpreadTooThin

It is generally thought you'll have less trouble if you 'keep it in the family' so to speak.

(Re)define your search in 11.n Linksys cards and see what you find.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

Any A/B/G or A/B card would go.

Reply to
F8BOE

The router is 2.4 and 5 GHz.. wireless N. There are no Dual Band wireless N cards offered by linksys...

Reply to
SpreadTooThin

What is wrong with USB? Linksys WUSB600N

Reply to
LR

I can't exactly leave a usb key in the system.. it too easy to steal... Seems odd that they haven't put out a pci card...

Reply to
SpreadTooThin

No I'm looking for Wireless N dual channel 2.4GHz / 5.0GHz ... Just like the router...

Reply to
SpreadTooThin

Which means it is also easy to put away when you have finished using it.

Reply to
LR

Too bad USB is not an option for you, then. Your pc must be in a public place?

Do you intend to use both of the 600N radios at once ? Linksys suggests this as a possibility.

In this case, get their N card and also a Dual A/G, I suppose.

Or do you just plan to use one band, but want to switch back and forth depending on, um, current interference? Or ...

Reply to
seaweedsl

~ > SpreadTooThin wrote: ~ > > I just bought a Linksys WRT600N... ~ > > Its a dual frequency wireless router. ~ > > To use the 5GHz channel what wireless card should I be installing in ~ > > my PC? ~ >

~ > Any A/B/G or A/B card would go. ~ ~ No I'm looking for Wireless N dual channel 2.4GHz / 5.0GHz ... Just ~ like the router...

I don't know that there exists a good draft-N 2.4/5GHz PCI card.

If 802.11a/b/g meets your needs, then you might consider our PI21AG (supported in Windows 2000/XP and soon Vista.)

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

The 2.4GHz frequency is just too cluttered with other networks.. can't keep a reliable signal..

Reply to
SpreadTooThin

Google is your friend. Search for "802.11a PCI card".

There are plenty of PCMCIA/CardBus dual band cards available. All you need is a CardBus to PCI adapter.

One of my customers uses this because their worthless software vendor keyed the copy protection to the wireless card MAC address. So, to use it in multiple locations, he moves the card.

There are also adapters between MiniPCI (laptop) cards and PCI. Many PCI wireless cards are these adapters, with the MiniPCI card "integrated" onto the board.

One of my former customers had a problem with employees stealing the easily removable antennas from the wireless desktops. Amazingly, some of them still work with no antenna. If you go with PCMCIA to PCI adapter route, the card can easily be removed and stolen. If USB is unacceptable due to theft issues, I don't think the adapter solution will work for you.

Reminder: MIMO Pre-802.11n and such is all about speed (at least the spacial diversity style is). It's not going to give you more range. If you're shooting through walls or more than perhaps 20ft, might as well buy an 802.11a PCI card.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

A ha... It semms that you don't even know what you're looking for.

Google may be your friend.

Reply to
F8BOE

Pardon me but this isn't wireless n.. its a/b/g

Reply to
SpreadTooThin

I know what I'm looking for ... I just can't believe that linksys doesn't have it...

Reply to
SpreadTooThin

If you don't want the a/b/g card, and keep insisting on the "n" support....

then go away - Google for it - and go buy it -

Reply to
ps56k

so... to summarize; can't use 2.4Ghz because it's too cluttered... but want dual channel anyway can't use USB because this desktop might have people stealing things - dorm ?? can't use 802.11a (5Ghz) card because it's not 802.11n and you "require n" can't find PCI card because....

Reply to
ps56k

Pardon me.. 802.11a is 5Ghz? Have I missed something?

Reply to
SpreadTooThin

Legacy 2.4 GHz 0.9 Mbit/s 2 Mbit/s ~20 Meters ~100 Meters

802.11a 5 GHz 23 Mbit/s 54 Mbit/s ~35 Meters ~120 Meters 802.11b 2.4 GHz 4.3 Mbit/s 11 Mbit/s ~38 Meters ~140 Meters 802.11g 2.4 GHz 19 Mbit/s 54 Mbit/s ~38 Meters ~140 Meters 802.11n 2.4/5 GHz 74 Mbit/s 248 Mbit/s ~70 Meters ~250 Meters 802.11y 3.7 GHz 23 Mbit/s 54 Mbit/s ~50 Meters ~5000 Meters

Even if 802.11a is 5 GHz it doesn't have the throughput of or the range that n has..

So I called linksys and they said they have a card in the works.. it will be out soon.. The only product they have the is dual band n is a usb key and if you read this thread I can't use a USB key as it will likely be stolen...

I've searched around with google and can't find another manufacturer (Other than apples Airport Extreme) that will do what I want...

Sorry to offend you fragile sences phase shift 56 K...

Reply to
SpreadTooThin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.