Seeking range-extender and booster-antenna recommendations

(My post--

formatting link
the alt.internet.wireless forum gateway did not appear to have been posted to the alt.internet.wireless newsgroup...so I try reposting directly to the newsgroup. Sorry for any duplicate postings.)

Summary:

I'm looking for recommendations (based upon direct experience or references to other, professional reviews) for wireless-ethernet range extenders and/or client-side signal booster antennas. Got any?

Details:

I travel a lot and find several hotspots I use to be weak in signal in some areas, namely when trying to use the wireless-ethernet signal in outdoor areas within the range of a hotel/resort at which I'm staying. To stress: I will not be able to plug in to the soure WAP/router. (I find this is a point that many people assume because a prime target for such things are home users; this is not me. I won't have access to the hotel's WAP/router.)

I'd like to be able buy a quality range extender that itself can act as a wireless ethernet client (read: no cable attach other than power) and repeat a more-powerful signal. I see some listed here:

formatting link
Obviously, it's important that such a range extender be rather ubiquitous with any WAP manufacturer and not mach only with a WAP of it's own manufacturer.

I'd also be interested in a PCMCIA or ExpressCard wifi card client with booster-antenna capability. This 2nd option only works for one laptop, and I'd be interested in the repeater so that it can work for many. However, if this "client upgrade" solution offers a more-reliable signal, I'll go this direction.

For what it's worth: I'm also an Sprint EVDO user, but their EVDO coverage does not yet cover all places I travel.

Thanks for any help,

-Matt

-- Remove "downwithspammers-" text to email me.

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

What you want is one of three types of wireless adapters:

1) pcmcia - WITH external antenna connector 2) USB - WITH external antenna connector 3) ethernet adapter -external antenna connector included.

Then buy or build a high gain directional antenna to connect to that. Use a short as possible, low loss cable. Don't settle for the typical

6 dbi antenna at BestBuy with a 5 foot thread-thin lossy cable. They lose too much in the cable.

The Cantenna is a popular used for this purpose. Search for "wardriving" online to find examples.

For individual use, I favor a USB device with external antenna connector. Run a long USB cable and a short antenna cable, if any. Something like this:

formatting link
For various people, the Buffalo wireless ethernet adapter is a good choice. Add a high gain antenna to it.

I should add that Hawking does make a USB adapter with a built-in high gain antenna that is supposed to be good.

Also, if your device already has a short rubber ducky antenna, an alternative to buying a high gain one is to put a reflector on it.

formatting link

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.