D-Link router hangs WLAN & Internet

I have a D-Link DI-624+, 2 desktop PCs hardwired and 2 laptops connected wirelessly. One desktop runs Win 98, all other machines run XP Pro. I have a DSL internet connection shared via the router. I have set up all PCs, configured firewalls etc and all works fine - for a while. Frequently, and with no pattern that I can detect, the network hangs as follows: Internet connection is lost to all computers, the wireless network has been turned off as far as the laptops are concerned but the hardwired desktops can still see each other. I cannot access the D-Link control panel webpage. The only way to fix it is to power down the router and power back up again, then everything springs back to life - for a while. During the fault condition, all LEDs seem to be operating as normal and the

2 indicating Ethernet connections flicker in step, suggesting network traffic between the 2 desktops.

I can detect no other WiFi networks in range and the cordless phone does not run on 2.4 MHz (lock ups normally occur when the phone is not in use). I am pretty sure that the mains supply and internet connection are stable and the unit doesn't seem to get too hot. It has firmware V.2.5 so I tried downloading the most recent upgrade (V.2.07.0047) from the D-Link support site but when I browse to it from the control panel as per the instructions, I get an error message "The chosen file is not a firmware file" - I tried deleting and re-downloading, same result.

This is getting to be very frustrating!

Where do I start to look for the cause of this - any suggestions please? I write software for a living but am no network expert!

TIA

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm
Loading thread data ...

Are you running any file sharing software? I've seen Azerus cause many SOHO routers to fall over...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I do have Sharezaa running on the Win 98 desktop at the moment, but I still have the problem even when that software is not running and the Win 98 PC is turned off. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply to
Malcolm

Could it be overheating? It is out in the open with lots of airflow around it, or stacked up with a bunch of other things, or buried under/behind computers or paperwork?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

snip....................snip

I am having exactly the same problem with a D-Link 624S. D-Link could not solve this issue in the last two weeks and I will return this Router and the 3 Network Adapters to the retailer on Monday. Sorry could not help you but at looks like this is the only way for me.

BTW: no Firmware available for 624s yet.

Regards Helmut

Reply to
hstamm

William P.N. Smith hath wroth:

Yep. See:

formatting link
formatting link
don't know about shielding the internal antenna cable with aluminium foil as a fix, but I do know the DI-624 rev C1 does overheat. Methinks the added heatsink on the processor is all that's required.

There was also a web page where someone added a small cooling fan, but I can't find it.

Rule of thumb: If you can't hold your thumb on the component, it's too hot.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's my favorite D-Link repair strategy as well. There are too many quality vendors to get hung up on Duh-Link...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Thanks for the suggestions folks - I have put up with this problem for ages since a reboot was no big deal as long as I was sitting next to the culprit, but now I operate mainly wirelessly and I have added a Roku Soundbridge to play music and internet radio via a WiFi link on my sound system, so the hangups are becoming annoying to say the least. I do live in the tropics (North Queensland) and I guess that heat may well be a problem. The unit stands on end with plenty of free air around it but without a fan and/or a decent heatsinnk, tropical air might not be cool enough to keep a poorly-sited processor cool. I will spend just a little more time on arranging better cooling but if that fails, I will bin it and start again - NOT with a D-Link! Any suggestions for a RELIABLE alternative?

Cheers Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Ah, now I know why mine is happy, I've disabled the WiFi.

I'd go with Linksys WRT54G, I've installed a ton of them at client sites, and rately had a problem. On theother tentacle:

formatting link
Has a chart on page 2 about throughput, which might make me look at alternatives.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.