Picking up distant wifi network

Hello!

I live in Central Manchester (UK) and desperately need to get broadband. Unfortunately we are still arguing to get a phone line and in the short term need to start using external wifi networks so we have net access.

Within range of our router and wireless cards there are no networks that are unsecure or we can use. The phone boxes around town are all wifi enabled by the cloud (thecloud.net) who Skype use under their Skypezones. I want to be able to connect to one of these but can't pick up a signal.

I reckon the closest one can't be more than 300 metres away in any direction. We have a large window (second floor) with clear line of site over the city but no line of sight directly to a known wifi point we want to connect to.

Whats the best options for boosting the router to try and pick up these signals? Will this work or is an antenna only good for making your signal go further??

the router is this :

formatting link
We also have 3com wireless cards.

if anyone can advise on products that will work and links if poss.......If we can't connect to a phone box network, we are right in the city centre so I'm sure if we can boost the number of networks we can see we can get an option from one of them.

Thanks.

Reply to
totalmus
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Wi-Fi is line of sight. Intervening buildings will block the signal.

A high-gain antenna will help with weak signal on both sending and receiving, but it won't help if the signal is being blocked.

Reply to
John Navas

I don't know if this of any help at all, just food for thought...

I tested a 14 dbi rootenna with a senao cb3, set as bridge with proper = ssid, in my car. I had a good solid, 3.05 mile, link back to my house. I = started dl xpsp2 and it stabilized out at 120 KB/Sec, that's about as = good as it gets on my dsl! I've also established a link (acquired = address and browsed) at 8.5 miles with same setup, to an air matrix with = a 7.4 dbi omni sitting on my bedroom window sill. I've not tested the dl = speed on that link. There are 2 air matrix with 7.4 dbi omni on my sill = awaiting deployment. They can connect to a third one at 0.9 miles, NON = line of sight.=20

ya never know unless ya try...

c'Ya

Reply to
tevan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.