stealing wireless from weak signal

Hi

I am looking for some advice.

I just moved into a property and basically cannot afford to get a phone line+ADSL for internet access. However, I have noticed a few wireless networks in the area which I get a 'Very Low' signal (according to windows xp). I can certainly connect to 1 of the unsecure ones and use internet for about 10 minutes before it cuts out and loses signal.

Ideally, what I'd like to do, is get permission off the owner of that router and ask if I can connect and pay him a bit of cash each month. I don't want to steal it because i don't want the risk of being cut off.

However, how can I improve the signal?

I have looked at wireless range extenders but dont know if these will do the job?

Anybody any experience with this?

thanks

Reply to
Darren
Loading thread data ...

"Darren" hath wroth:

Start with the 10 commandments and install all the updates. Righteous behavior pays in the long run.

OK, you're in the UK. I guess prices are higher. Last time I checked, you can get DSL for the price of a lavish dinner per month. Starve a little.

Yeah, that's about what will happen with a weak signal. You can get a connection and probably exchange a few packets. However, if there's any interference or changes in the intermediate path (reflections, multipath, Fresnel zone, foliage attenuation, etc), the signal goes away.

Some of the local kids have banged on my door asking for a wireless connection. However, I later find that they already have DSL at home. What they want is a way to get to the internet without the partental control filters running. Anyway, just ask and see what happens.

Bigger antenna. Many wireless cards have external antenna connectors. If that's not possible, a 2nd wireless device, mounted near the antenna, will also work. Need to know what you have to work with to determine the best solution. Do you have line of sight? What manner of client radio do you currently own?

The problem with range extenders, store and forward repeaters, and such is that they generate twice the traffic over the air. Your thruput will suffer. You also need to find a location to put it where you have a good line of sight to BOTH the router owner and your wireless device. Try a better antenna first.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.