Wireless

I live in an apartment complex and I was going to split a wireless connection with my neighbor but cannot get it to work. I am using XP Pro and it automatically finds the network and connects to it. it seems like I can establish an IP but the status says limited or no connection. Does anyone have an ideas on how to get this up and working?

Reply to
joen270
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
frankrmc

WEP keys? SSID correct on the client? MAC address filter set to ON on the router?

Reply to
ABC

Taking a moment's reflection, frankrmc mused: | | Best practice is to change the SSID name and to turn off SSID | broadcasting.

No, no, no ... and here's why: Encryption will keep all but the extremely motivated hacker out of your system, and anyone who can attempt to crack WEP keys (or attempt a dictionary attach on a WPA-PSK) will have the ability to detect a non-broadcast SSID anyway. Encryption is sufficient. SSID hiding and MAC filtering can be easily defeated. Using them *with* encryption does not increase your security at all.

By disabling SSID broadcast you take your network out of the intended specification which opens you up to connectivity problems. Also, by no broadcasting your SSID, in a close environment like an apartment complex, how are your neighbours going to know you are using a particular channel for your network ... and thus *not* use that same channel for theirs? Channel conflict can kill connectivity.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Check the firewall is off until you get connection , scan for the normal stuff and if things don't work then download a copy of netstumbler.

Reply to
atec

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.