Linksys or Windows software to manage PC Card

Just bought a Linksys WPC54GX card for my Thinkpad to go with my new 54GX router.

Linksys seems to want me to use their software to manage the PC card. I'm using Windows XP Pro and using Windows to manage the router.

Are there advantages/disadvantages in using one or the other?

TIA

Louise

Reply to
louise
Loading thread data ...

You're using a browser to interface with the router not XP Pro.

I can used the driver for the card, which can be downloaded from its site and install and configure a card using Device Manager on the XP O/S. For me, it was more stable than using the 3rd utility to do it and have it running in the job trey. You can config the NIC with XP to show the signal strength when you mouse over its icon in the job trey.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks - life got more complicated....

I just spent a few hours with Linksys tech support because I could not get my portable recognized with my brand new pc card Linksys WPX54GX using WPA.

Windows would not accept a wpa security code - was limited to WEP.

I am running XP Pro - but, because this was an ebay "special", the copy of Windows Pro is not valid and I cannot upgrade to SP2.

So we tried using the Linksys connection but we were unable to successfully turn off the windows connection and connection couldn't be made to the net with two active connections.

We tried to turn off the windows connection by going to services.msc and stopping and disabling wireless zero configuration. After doing this, I rebooted. And still, even though it was turned off in services.msc, it was still running.

The conclusion was that the os is damaged and that is why we couldn't turn it off. Given that I know the OS is not a "real" version, it is possible - although I've had no other trouble.

Should turning off wireless zero configuration in services completely stopped it from running and "stealing" the connection from the linksys management program? Or, is there something additional in the OS that should be turned off.

Right now I'm back to WEP with a nice new card that I didn't really need although it certainly does pick up a much stronger signal :-)

BTW, given the fact that the Windows installation is iffy and that the wireless appears faulty, I'm afraid to just upgrade the Windows wireless connection for fear it will stop working and I'll be left without any wireless access.

Is there anything that was missed?

TIA

Louise

Reply to
louise

Legal copy of Windows XP that can be upgraded to SP2?! :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Yes, obviously - but the entire computer is several years old and not worth the investment of time to reinstall everything as well as the cost. I could purchase a reasonably priced version of XP OEM, but I'm afraid that just reinstalling over some kind of pirated installation would be unsuccessful and that's why I'm not doing it.

Louise

Reply to
louise

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.