Netgear ME102 access point as wireless adapter

Hi,

I have a broadband ADSL connection via a modem that is networked around the house by a Netgear ME102 802.11b wireless access point. This is becoming inconvenient, as the PC to which the modem and access point are attached is rarely used, but has to be turned on to supply internet access to the rest of the PCs in the house.

To get around this, and start to upgrade to 802.11g, I want to replace the access point and modem with a standalone wireless router/firewall. However, I can't afford to replace all the existing wireless cards immediately. Would I be able to use the ME102 as a simple wireless adapter to allow this PC to access the network provided by the router?

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy Phillips
Loading thread data ...

The ME102 wont work as an adapter (just an AP). You can still get you a G router and use your existing B cards until you can upgrade them to G plus you can still use the ME102 as a second AP connected to the G router lan port.

Reply to
Airhead

After reading again:

Andy Said: Would I be able to use the ME102 as a simple wireless adapter to allow this PC to access the network provided by the router?

You can connect any pc that has an ethernet connection into the routers switch and share the Internet.

Reply to
Airhead

Thanks for that. My researches on the net also indicated that the ME102 wouldn't associate as a client with the G router, so I have two options - buy another ME 102 and attach one to the router, one to the remote PC; or buy a G wireless card for the PC. The latter gives me the higher network speed, so that's the way I'll go.

I realize I could attach the PC by ethernet but I'd like to put the router in the centre of the house to improve reception.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Phillips

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.