Can I use a 802.11G router as an access point?

Hi. I'm looking to upgrade my current house-hold setup, which is a Linksys 802.11b wireless router and a wireless access point, to

802.11g. I found that I can purchase the Netgear G router for $30, but I can hardly find matching access points for less than $90.

Here's my question: can I use another Netgear WGR614 router as an access point? I figure I could just disable the routing and DHCP capabilities of the second router, and use it as a 4-port access point, right? It'd be much cheaper to purchase 2 $30 routers.

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
Bassam Islam
Loading thread data ...

Actually, I found the answer... yes I can!

Here's how, for those who might need it:

formatting link

Reply to
Bassam Islam

Absolutely. I did just that for quite a while. No problems.

To use the second wireless router as just an access point, simply disable it's DHCP and use one of it's LAN (not WAN) ports to connect with the first router.

Reply to
Eric

Ah, you got it.

I first did the "use the wireless router as just an AP thing" when first started using ZoneCD. Diagram:

formatting link
As a computer become a router, freeing up one of my wireless routers, I just used it as an AP.

ZoneCD is really cool if you want to add a captive portal in your loop...

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.