Netgear DG834G; extending range with ANT2405

Hi all,

I've looked around and can't seem to find a clear answer for this one. I have no problems with my wireless router (Netgear DG834G), but I'd just like to increase the range a bit and improve the signal strength (and hopefully bandwidth) for the applications I currently use it for.

I figured the best and simplest way to do this was to get a better antenna. I've looked around, and found that for a reasonable cost, the Netgear ANT2405 looks like a decent omnidirectional antenna, giving a

5 dBi gain. To get any higher, I'm then looking at spending upwards of £100 (~$160) - which is more expensive than the router and is likely overkill for my uses.

So, my question is simple; will the ANT2405 give an increase in range/signal strength that'll actually be noticable or significant? If anyone has any direct experience of this, that'd be cool. As would any alternative solutions/products anyone has any experience with - as long as they'll work with a DG834G router.

Much obliged all!

G
Reply to
Gary
Loading thread data ...

Cheers for the replies chaps, I'll 'em out. Any idea as to how effective the commercial antennas (like the ANT2405) are though?

Reply to
Gary

Reply to

If you need the gain in one direction, there are lots of free reflectors and antennas that you can build. The EZ-10 is so simple, you should do it first, and then proceed with other designs.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
poster suggests sticking the existing antenna into a pringles can. That is along the lines of some of the links you'll find on David's page, but using a can that's a little larger diameter. The can really needs to be between 65 and 120 mm, and I think the Pringles can is on the slender side, which should make it hard to point, with a narrow beam.

Reply to
dold

I think the concensus is that you don't want to buy an antenna from the WAP vendor, there are other cheaper sources, and most of the conversation in this group seems to prefer patch antennas for moderate gain, and parabolics for large gains.

formatting link
is a popular place to go.

Reply to
dold

Good site for information. Use this for price comparison..

formatting link
mk38

Reply to
mk38

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.