WAG54G as access point?

Following earlier advice in this group I am looking to relocate my Linksys WAG54G within the house to improve wireless reception, moving it away from the phone point. I already have a spare ADSL modem and the plan is to use powerline (Microlink dLAN) ethernet from the modem to the WAG54G functioning as router and access point - ie not using the WAG54G internal modem.

But is the WAG54G capable of functioning in this way? It has no ethernet WAN socket - only a telephone "line" socket. If I've understood other posts correctly, I can't just use a LAN socket on the router as my connection from the modem. Or can I?

Chris R

Reply to
ChrisR
Loading thread data ...

If you are prepared to run a cable from the ADSL modem to your new location of the WAG54G why can you not run just run a cable from the phone point to the WAG54G's new location and not use the ADSL modem at all.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I'm not running a cable. Like I said, I'm using Ethernet over the mains wiring.

Chris R

Reply to
ChrisR

Apologies I just read Ethernet and assumed.

I haven't tried what you are suggesting, with my WAG, so I don't know if it will behave as just a switch or a router.If as a router I would have thought there may be a problem with IP addresses as the address from your ISP via the ADSL modem will not be in the 192.168.xx.xxx. range(no doubt someone can jump in and correct me).

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.